Chapter 28 - Chasing Charlie

"I know about you and Mr. Dawson."

The werewolf turned around.

"What did you say?"

You care too much. Get out before they can screw you over...

He hated that his mother had been right.

"If you step out that door, I'll make sure the whole school, including the principal, board, and all the parents, know you seduced a teacher. Maybe more than one teacher. And us."

Kit gritted his teeth. You?

"Maybe I'll tell everyone about tonight then."

"It'll be your word against ours. And compare the two rumours – which one will the school care about? A couple of classmates fighting, or a teacher sleeping with his male, underage student?"

Oliver smiled. 

"It will just seem like you're trying to discredit our story. And you're new, a troublemaker, absent half the time – I've been here since kindergarten, get straight A's. Corey's dad is on the board."

"You've no proof."

"I was in that classroom when he came in – and I know you went to meet him after that. Did you go to his home?"

Good guess.

"That's a completely baseless accusation. He walked in on us, he was worried, he wanted to chat with me about it. That's all."

"I think you're lying. But it doesn't really matter if it's true, does it? Not once it starts spreading around the school."

Well aren't you clever and evil.

He levelled his gaze at the shorter boy. "Come back here, or we'll ruin you."

Kit glared right back at him.

This is what I get for hooking up in a school restroom.

"You know what? I used to think Oliver deserved better than you shits but now I guess I don't know."

He gripped the broken doorknob again, harder, metal creaking. 

"So say whatever the Hell you want." Kit met his former friend's eyes squarely and held them.

"Because I won't be fucking blackmailed."

Right then, he wanted nothing more than to tear them apart. But the faint sounds of the party downstairs, and the urgency he remembered hearing in Charlie's voice, stopped him from trying. 

Besides, it was three against one, and Kit had been shit at fighting in his other shape last time he attempted it. 

Flinging the door open, he took a step out into the hallway. Then something made him pause, bitterness boiling in his gut.

Baby, your problem is, you care too much...

"Why don't you finish what you were doing when I first met you?" he said, back still turned, tossing the comment over his shoulder. 

"And fuck that little traitor. Or take Corey instead – he seemed to love having my fingers up his ass."

Flipping them off, he left.

Kit had an uncle to find.

Sharp like broken glass. 

He needed to be sharp like that, have edges like that. So that anyone who touched him would cut themselves.

Kit had needed a focus. Lashing out aimlessly at himself, at others, the way he'd been doing - that was useless.