Memories

(Y/N) POV - 2390 words

27 Hunter Applicants had cleared the tower in the given time of 72 hours, Korako excluded. Now all of us are standing outside on the lawn, Lippo in front of us. From my vantage point at the back of the group with Killua and Gon, I notice signs of wear in the other contestants. Namely Hisoka who has a bloodied tear in his side and on his shoulder. 

There are few people who'd be capable of landing a hit on Hisoka, and all of them are Hunters. I think back to what I'd overheard at the very beginning of this insane exam. Hisoka had failed last year because he nearly killed one of the Examiners. He must've wanted revenge and been placed in Trick Tower.

It's strange to think the Hunter Committee would just fodder off one of their own like they did. It seems to be common knowledge Hisoka nearly killed him last year, but they were faced against one another again. Hisoka's only gotten stronger, as any person would in a year, so there's no chance the Hunter would've survived. 

I shake my head. Thoughts such as these are irrelevant to the current situation. Lippo begins speaking, and I turn my attention back to the task at hand, "Congratulations on escaping Trick Tower, everyone. All that remains now are the Fourth Phase and the Final Phase. The Fourth Phase will take place right over there on Zevil Island. Now, let's proceed."

He snaps his fingers, glasses glinting in the sunlight. A different Examiner pushes a cart with a box placed on top of it. Lippo continues, "To begin with I will need each of you to draw lots now."

No one was expecting this. Everyone murmurs in discontent and confusion. One applicant asks, "Drawing lots? What will that decide?"

Lippo hums, amused, "Who you hunt, and who hunts you. In this box are exactly 27 numbered cards. Which means, that one of the numbered cards will correspond with your badge. Now, each of you will draw a card in the order you exited the tower. All right. Which of you first?"

Hisoka steps forward, drawing a card from the box. I remove my tag and hide it in my jacket. Glancing around, I take a second to memorize everyone's tags. They all seem to be in shock for a second, not realizing their badges will be their downfall. 

The next person who walks up is Gittarackur. Bored, I spread my En for the first time since the Hunter Exam started, warming up for when we go to Zevil Island. I stretch it as far as I can, and feel a familiar presence rush against my own. I shy away from Hisoka who smirks in my direction. Baring my teeth, I ignore him and notice Illumi's presence nearby. He's clearly not here as himself, his appearance drastically different from every other person I see. 

I follow the trail, drawing closer and closer to Gittarackur. He's standing next to Hisoka. Why am I surprised? The two of them will make a formidable team, indeed.

Third is Hanzo, and the line continues all the way until it reaches me. As I draw a card, lights on the side of the box blink red. I examine the blank card as I return to where Gon and the others are standing. It's plain, a maroon on one side and white on the other. There's a sticker covering the number so none of us can get a head start. 

One Tonpa draws his card, Lippo speaks again, "Has everyone drawn? Very well, now if you would, please go ahead and remove the sticker."

There's a simultaneous sound of ripping as everyone does as Lippo asks. I look down at the card and recognize the number. #279, a young man who looks very physically strong. Every time I've seen him, he's had a smug expression on his face, as though he knows he's going to make it through. It gets on my nerves, so I've avoided him thus-far. I guess it can't be helped, now. 

Lippo speaks again, "The number you see is your target."

Everyone gasps and covers their badges. Thankfully, I'd done so much earlier. Did they not see this coming? Lippo's been talking about hunting and being hunted. He specifically said there's numbers. It makes sense they should correspond with tour badges.