Chapter 18

"Copter, come, we need to talk. Sunan, covered for him for a while. Bas, counter." Copter who was assigned as a waiter for his second week was followed Kimmon to the office he once was stepped in for his interview. He was preparing himself for he had makes mistakes today. He had lost focus, he was trying not to, but he couldn't help it.

"Are you telling me that you were already regretted working here?" Kimmon's sudden question taking him off-guard once they were already in Kimmon's office room. "No! No, P'Kim. I'm sorry. I promise I wouldn't makes a mistake again." Copter was looking down the whole time, afraid even to look at Kimmon's face.

"What is it, Copter? This is not you. Even if you have a problem, you have to learn how to control it. You were not the only person in this world who had a problem, Copter. So, learn how to control it. But since we are talking right now, tell me, what is it that bothers you too much?"

Copter was turning up, look straight at Kimmon. He was biting his lower lip, reluctantly to tell him what in his mind. But, then, whatever! Just go with it.

Copter then suddenly standing up, shocking Kimmon. He was walking back a few steps and was kneeling, making Kimmon dumbfounded. "Copter, what are you doing? Stand up!" Copter was looking up to Kimmon, ignoring his words. "P'Kim, I'm sorry, I know I'm asking for too much, but I'm begging you, P, please give my brother any job. I don't want him roaming outside there just to be looked down upon. He keeps saying he wanted to find a job that I was scared of him. I know I was being ridiculous, my brother wasn't that weak. But still, even back then at the village he was rarely going to town. Being outside there was more dangerous for him than being in a forest, P."

Kimmon was dumbstruck. Well, he knew they were from the village, but was it that bad? Kimmon was sighing again. He guessed Copter was giving him a new hobby, for he had sigh a lot since this guy emerged into his life. It's not like he was complaining, though. Just saying.

He then walked to Copter bowing down a little to hold on Copter shoulder and pulling him up, so he can stand up. "Let's discuss it after your shift ended. But for now, do your work properly, understand?" Copter was wiping his tears and fixed his uniform then nodded his head. "I will, P. thank you."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"What is it that you want to talk about?" Godt was looking straight to Kimmon who was sitting at the dining table opposite him. Copter was sitting beside him, wearing an expression of anxiety, which he didn't understand why.

"Copter was telling me you want to find a job out there." Hearing Kimmon, Godt was turning to Copter fast and was staring at his brother. "It's none of your business. Copter shouldn't have told you about it." Kimmon was smiling, expected the reaction of Godt as much.

"Well, since he was worried about you to the point that he couldn't do his work right, so it was my business." Godt was sighing out loud hearing Kimmon's statement. "Cop, I'll be okay. I promise I'll take care of myself."

"I know you think I overreact, P. But I still worried, no matter what you said." Kimmon was just watching these two brothers half bickering to each other while thinking. "Godt, what kind of jobs you are looking for?"

"Anything." Kimmon was rubbing hard his neck while tilted his head for he thought he had heard a similar answer before. "What things you do best? Any experience? School?" Godt was shocked by the sudden multiple questions from Kimmon.

"I've been farming my whole life, doing rough work. I didn't go to school. But Copter had been teaching me how to read and basic maths." Kimmon was nodding to that. "I'll give you two choices. You can choose either option 1 or both, but I will not accept option 2."

Godt was frowning to that. "Option 1: The easy way. Work for me back at my house. Option 2: I can accompany you roaming around looking for a job tomorrow to show you the reality of what Copter had been afraid of. If you chose both, we will still be roaming around pretending to look for a job but at the end of the day you are still going to work for me at my house."

"I might not going to school, but I wasn't a fool. Why should I work at your house?" Copter was looking at his brother intently. "P...." Godt was turning to Copter. "Did you ask him to give me a job?" Copter was stunned, didn't know how to answer his brother.

"Kimmon, thank you for your offer, but I'm afraid I can't accept your offer. Please, leave us." Kimmon was giving Godt thin lips smile while getting up and leaving the two brothers to discuss. Once Godt saw Kimmon had close the door behind him, disappearing from the room they were living in, Godt was turning to his brother right away.

"We might be poor, but we were never a beggar, Cop! I can't believe you do this!"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Both brothers were not talking after the last conversation they had. Copter was trying to talk to his brother but every time, Godt would evading him. By the time Copter coming back from his night shift, Godt was already sleeping. The food wasn't touched by any of them, which Godt had cooked before Copter and Kimmon came to the room. They both slept with empty stomach. Copter was taking note for next time to make sure to have a meal first before any discussion. Such a waste!

Copter was awake at 4.30 am, earlier than he always had waked up for work. But then, his brother wasn't beside him on the bed. Thinking that his brother might be in the washroom, he was sitting up and waiting for his brother to come out. Even after some time, he couldn't hear anything and the door wasn't opening that Copter was feeling uneasy.

So he was fast running to the bathroom and was knocking at the door, calling his brother. Hearing no answer and not even a single noise, he was trying to open the door only to realize it wasn't even locked. When he opened it, there wasn't anyone in the toilet. 'Where's P'Godt?' "P'Godt? P'Godt? P'Godt!"

Copter was running around the room, opening the closet and realize his brother's backpack and his clothes weren't there. He didn't know what to do, and when he was going to his side of the bed, he could see a letter?

Dear Cop, my baby brother Cop.

I'm sorry I had to make this decision and believe me, it was hard for me too. But I couldn't take it anymore, watching you torturing yourself every single day, blaming yourself for everything that had happened to us.

I know you were blaming yourself when our house was caught in the fire. You were blaming yourself for dad's death, and you were blaming yourself that I hurt and that I've got this permanent injury on me. And again, you were blaming yourself too for Tae just left like that.

Somchai had told me about Oat and his men. You thought because Tae had reported Oat, he was blaming us and burnt down our house.

But, Cop, none of it was your fault. I was trying to tell you that I was okay and that what happened to me wasn't your responsibility. But you couldn't stop blaming yourself, no matter what I said.

I'll be back looking for you, once I got a job and get paid for it. I want to prove to you, what happened to me wasn't that bad, and I was saved was thanks to you.

Just don't make it hard on yourself, wait for your P, na.

Love, your brother, Godt.

End of Chapter 18