TWENTY EIGHT

It's been two days since the baby was born, I don't want to say his name until it's official, legally, Zoe had up until two o'clock this afternoon to change her mind about letting me adopt him, it was currently 1:45. I was sitting outside the room, the social worker and adoption agent were in there with her, and the baby. I was bouncing my knee anxiously, my dad and Topper were at Topper's house, moving my stuff in as well as finishing all the baby stuff that we had to get. I've never been so happy to be a kook, otherwise there is no way I could be doing this. Kie walked down the hall, spotting me from a mile away, my leg probably looked like it was going to take off without me. "Kenzie, she won't change her mind." Kie sighed, sitting next to me, she was my first phone call that night, after Topper and I decided to do this. She couldn't believe my words, but she's been by my side in the hospital, helping me in learning all these things about babies that no one tells you. Topper has been setting everything up at the house with my dad's assistance, we all decided it would be best for me to stay here. "You don't know that." I mumbled, leaning forward, resting my elbows on my legs as I held my face in my hands, but we both shot up when the social worker's heels could be heard clicking against the floor, as soon as I saw the look on her face, my heart broke.

"I'm so sorry, McKenzie, she decided to keep the baby, and she would like me to ask you to leave." I stood in shock, Kie placed a hand on my shoulder but I hardly felt it, the hall felt like it was tilting around me, I blinked a few times, returning my vision to normal. "O-okay." I stuttered, allowing Kie to guide me away from the room, I was trying not to unravel, and when the elevator doors opened and they revealed Topper standing there with the car seat hanging off his arm, I lost it. He dropped the car seat as I clung myself to him, thankfully no one else was in the elevator, aside from Kie, she stepped in, pushing the button to bring us back to the first floor. "Zoe changed her mind." She whispered to him as I couldn't speak due to the tears choking me up, "oh, Kenzie I'm so sorry." He muttered, squeezing me tighter as I nodded against him, it wasn't his fault, and now we had all this baby stuff to get rid of. I was definitely relieved that my stuff had been moved into his house, I can simply go and be there with him, and have my meltdown in peace. The elevator dinged signaling our arrival, Kie grabbed the car seat, following us with a sigh, hating how heart broken I was.

***

"Kenzie, baby girl." Topper whispered gently, I felt his hand rubbing my thigh, I blinked a couple times, my eyes adjusting to the light, I was in the car, I must've fallen asleep on the ride home. I groaned, undoing the seatbelt and lazily climbing out of the car, I laced our fingers together as we approached the door. "Topper, is there baby stuff everywhere?" I asked, stopping before he opened the door, "no, I left the car running and cleaned up while you slept." He assured me, I gave him a smile for his thought. "You didn't have to do that." I sighed as he opened the door, "I wanted to do whatever I can to help you." He mumbled, hands going to my waist as I walked in, smiling as I could see the edge of our group photo hanging on the wall right where I wanted it. "Thank you." I twirled in his grip, facing him with a smile, I placed my hand on his cheek, simply staring at him for a while. "What is it?" He whispered, breaking the silence, I shook my head softly, sliding my hand down his jaw, gently running my thumb underneath his bottom lip. "You're so handsome, I'm so lucky." I responded, with a shrug, it was obvious to me. He smiled softly, placing a kiss to the palm of my hand, before returning it to his cheek, sighing at the contact. I know it hurt, but I think it was for the best, that it's just the two of us. "I'm the lucky one, have I mentioned that my girlfriend is smokin?" He quipped, his hands sliding down my sides, resting comfortably on my hips. "Oh no, I don't think you tell her enough." I responded, my arms going around his neck, a laugh falling from my lips as his hands went under my thighs, pulling me up, my legs wrapping around his waist. "I should fix that." He responded, his lips connecting with my neck. I twisted the ends of his hair, smiling as he smirked against my skin. "You should." I muttered, tilting his head back to give him a proper kiss, "you're just so fucking gorgeous." He mumbled, beginning to make his way towards the stairs, "and smart, and caring, and sexy." He added, kissing my neck between every word, "and you're handsome, and amazing, and everything I've ever wanted." I told him, laughing as he dropped me down on the bed, hovering over me.

"I want you too." He mumbled, a smirk across his face, he knew what I meant, but he was already stripping himself of his clothes, "it's a good thing I love you." I joked, reaching for the bottom of my shirt, a blush rising to my face as he replaced my hands with his, so that's how it's going to be.