FOURTEEN

"Happy birthday!" I shouted, straddling Topper, it was technically the morning after his birthday, but I never got the chance to tell him last night. "Thank you." He mumbled half asleep, he squinted his eyes open at me, he looked so pretty in the mornings, I know guys are supposed to be handsome but he was just such a beautiful man. He hadn't shaved, and man was that look growing on me, his blue eyes always looked so light in the morning, and his bed head was just the best thing. "Whatcha thinking about." He shook me from my thoughts, gently rubbing circles into my thighs, "you." I answered honestly, he smirked, "wow, am I really just that good?" He remarked, "not like that, just thinking about how much I love you." I told him the truth, running my hand across his jaw before resting it on his cheek, making a smile come upon his face. "I love you." He rested his hands on my legs, laughing as I grinned like a little kid, "I'm still not used to you saying that." I told him, his face fell for a moment, "do I not say it enough?" He asked. "No, you say it plenty, it's just so good, it's hard for me to believe it." I don't think that explanation helped any since he has the same look on his face. "I love you Topper, don't get it twisted, you're the best thing to happen to me." I leaned down giving him a kiss, the door opened and I practically launched myself off of him. "Dad, oh my god have you heard of knocking?!" I gasped yanking my sheets over me, I was only in a shirt and underwear. His hand shot up over his eyes, "I was just coming to see if you wanted to help make pancakes, but I'll give you two a minute to get decent." Thankfully my dad didn't give us a talk after that, he knows we were careful, and he'd be stupid to say that he didn't know we were having sex.

"I'm mortified." Topper mumbled after my dad shut the door, his footsteps could be heard walking down the hall towards the stairs. "You and me both." I muttered, slipping the shirt off, and putting my bra on. "You're not helping here." Topper muttered when he looked up to see me in my undergarments as I pulled clothes out of the closet, "well I could say the same to you." I motioned to his boxer clad figure, "whatever." His voice was low, like a child who got reprimanded as he put his shorts and shirt on from last night. "I don't want to go down there." His face was bright red as I dragged him down with me, now fully clothed, obviously he couldn't not come down stairs, my dad knew he was here. "Topper, where are you going?" My dad called when he abandoned me in the kitchen, "get over here!" I called and he came back like a lost puppy. "Stay for breakfast, son. You're family." My dad assured him and I think my heart just about burst, "thank you, sir." Topper spoked, he'd never been treated so kindly from someone's parents, not even his best friends. "Call me Pete." My dad waived him off, "pancakes?" My dad looked towards me, I nodded like a little girl. "We put a griddle on the middle of the table, and a bunch of toppings and it's like a make your own pancake bar." I explained to Topper, going and pulling out strawberries from the fridge, handing them to Topper, telling him where the cutting board is. "That sounds fun." He mumbled, embarrassed that he's never had memories like this, his mother wasn't that kind of mom. It was always plain breakfasts, no jokes, very strict. I was lucky to grow up in a fun environment, of course I knew not to be crazy, but hey if I wanted to put a bunch of chocolate chips in my pancakes once in awhile, then I was allowed to put a bunch of chocolate chips in them. "It's alright, babe." I whispered, placing a hand on his back as I walked by him, going to help my dad find the griddle, it had gotten buried somewhere in the pantry.

"Oh there it is!" I pointed to the top shelf, directly above my dads head, he reached, barely managing to grab it, he caught it as it slid off the shelf. "That was close." He laughed, walking out with it, Topper had finished cutting the strawberries, I grabbed the syrup, chocolate chips and peanut butter from the pantry while I was in there, "can you cut a banana too?" I asked sweetly, sliding it across the counter to him, he laughed but started slicing it up. I grabbed the blueberries, adding it to the collection on the table, walking back to the counter to grab the pancake mix. I placed it on the table with a ladle, going to make a pot of coffee for everyone. It was a lot of work, but it was worth it in my eyes, these are the kind of memories I won't ever forget, my boyfriend and my dad laughing over the giant pancakes I make, and vice versa. "Ready?" I looked to Topper as he sat beside me, he nodded watching with a smile as I poured a pancake out for each of us, rushing to put our fillings in it, I opted for banana and chocolate, Topper went for all fruit, and my dad went strawberries and chocolate. I flipped the pancakes like a pro, laughing as one of them splattered a bit, going onto my dads face. "Sorry." I spoke through my laughter as he tried to lick it off his chin, but he couldn't quite reach. Topper was laughing beside me and my heart couldn't be fuller. "Plate," I looked to Topper, he held his plate up as I slid his pancake onto it, "thanks, b-Kenzie." He was gonna call me baby but then remembered my dad was there. "Welcome." I smiled, getting my dad his next, then mine. I opened the peanut butter jar, making Topper look at me in disgust, "it's good!" My dad and I defended in unison. "If you put it on when it's hot, it gets kind of runny." I explained, spreading it quickly, not wanting to burn my fingers. I sat down and dug in to my first pancake, laughing when Topper took a piece to try it with the peanut butter, he hummed in appreciation, "it is good." I caught my dad looking at us and immediately I began to wonder if we did anything inappropriate, but then I saw the smile on his face. "You two remind me of Leslie and I when we were young." He spoke, my heart hurt at the mention of my moms name, Topper squeezed my leg under the table, comforting me. "Thank you, Mr. Holmes. I'd be a lucky man if I ended up as happy as you and Leslie were." Topper spoke, I looked to him, a smile and a pout on my face at the same time, not sure how that was possible, but it was. "That's so sweet." I laced our hands together under the table. "Good words." My dad piped up, shooting Topper a reassuring smile.