THIRTEEN

It's been a whole month since I broke up with Topper, his birthday was this week, and all I could think about is what we said we were going to do when he turned eighteen, we were going to throw a giant party at the boneyard, and then just be alone for the weekend the two of us. My mind began to wander, college, was he going or not? It had been a big argument between him and his mother, she wanted him to become a doctor, but he didn't, and that's a job that you have to want to do. He wanted to be a personal trainer, he was very passionate about that stuff, and I thought he would make a great personal trainer. His mother on the other hand, hated the idea, she threatened to cut him off. I rolled my eyes at the memory, going back to my school work, Topper and I had both graduated early this last spring, we were proud of our selves for sure. Although I didn't want to be in my fathers business, he took a while accepting that, but he came around. He supported me one hundred and ten percent, but when I told him I wanted to become a photographer, he thought I was joking, but again, he came around. I was extremely lucky, that I was able to buy good equipment from the start, that I had the connections that I had, being a kook had it's perks. I was taking a couple of photography classes from the local college, nothing major, actually they were all online, which was nice. I made cards, putting them all over the island, I was willing to drive if it meant people would start using me. Of course, I had the perks of using my friends as models for sample photos, Kie and John B being my most used examples.

***

"Are you going to his party tonight?" JJ spoke up as we laid out on the boat, I sighed, "I want too, I miss him, but I don't think I'll be able to handle seeing him with another girl." I explained, taking a sip of the water bottle I had in my hand. "Kenzie, believe me, there is no other girl." Sarah spoke up, I looked towards her, "he looks god awful, he has barely done anything since you broke up with him. Rafe said he's never seen him like this." She elaborated, "you should go, and you should try and talk to him, now that everyone's emotions have settled down." Kie piped in, it was true, I've finally recovered over this month, my dad was back to his normal healthy self, of course we were both still upset, but it's getting easier. "Fine, are you going?" I answered, looking around at everyone, "I'm going, so is Sarah." Kie spoke, the boys shook their heads, "work." The all spoke in unison, I let out a soft laugh at that. "Well girls, I guess we have a party to prepare for." I smiled, I can do this, right? We can work it out.

I climbed out of Kie's car, nervously looking around, Topper was here, I saw him in the crowd and they were right, he didn't look like his normal preppy self. He looked run down, tired, he even had the slightest stubble across his jaw, which I always liked but he never cared for it, claiming it was itchy. I couldn't help but think to my appearance, I definitely had dark circles under my eyes, that were covered by way too much concealer. "Ready?" Sarah shook my from my thoughts as she walked over, joining us. I nodded, walking straight to the keg, if I was going to do this, I need some liquid courage first. "Kenzie." Rafe was surprised to see me, I took the red solo cup from him after he finished filling it, "hey." I mumbled, taking a long chug from the cup, my throat burning in the process, his eyebrows shot up. "He misses you." Is all he said before walking off, undoubtedly to find a hook up for the night. I began wandering around, suddenly nervous about talking to him, I decided to walk off, towards the water, I climbed over the downed tree trunk, surprised to see Topper sitting there alone. "Isn't the birthday boy supposed to be enjoying the party?" I asked softly, scaring him as he whipped around to face me, "Kenzie," he paused pushing himself up to be standing. "I'm sorry, about everything, I never should've done that. I was such an idiot-" "I know, Topper. I never should've done what I did either. You didn't deserve that, you did so much for me and all I did was push you away. I'm sorry." I explained, butterflies in my stomach as I walked closer to him. He didn't speak as he watched my hand rise gently to his face, I ran my hand over his jaw, "thought it was too itchy for you?" I quipped, and that's when he knew I still loved him. "I love you, Kenzie." He muttered, not breaking eye contact, I nodded, "I love you too." I assured him, smiling when he crashed his lips against mine, it was a hungry passionate kiss. "Topper." I laughed when his hands went underneath the hem of my shirt, rubbing the bare skin of my waist. "I just missed touching you." He didn't care to admit, I heard a few whistles from behind us, turning to see JJ, John B, Kelce and Rafe staring at us. "Don't stop on our account." Rafe called, I flipped him off as Topper reconnected our lips, even hungrier if possible. "I didn't mean it." Rafe yelped when Topper squeezes my ass. "Let's get out of here, yeah?" He mumbled barely pulling away from me, I nodded staying silent, I didn't need to speak my agreement for him to know. I laughed when he threw me over his shoulder like a rag doll, "excuse me boys, I've got some business to attend to." Topper laughed walking past the now disgusted boys, well at least my friends were, they were protective over me for sure. "Topper, shut up." My face flushed at his words, I slapped his back as he lowered me to the ground, in front of his car. "You're not drunk right?" I questioned, he shook his head, "I'm fine to drive." He assured me, we were only a few minutes from either of our houses, good.