CH1 - Reaching out for your dreams

It's year 2020. It's going to be my 26th birthday comes August. One of my lifelong dreams is to meet the only artist I idolize here in my native country - the Philippines.

And that is none other than the Legendary Lea Salonga.

She is best known for her roles in musical theater; being the original Kim in the musical play Miss Saigon. She is also the very first actress of Asian descent to play the role of Eponine and Fantine in Les Miserables on Broadway. Other notable plays she had starred in would be Flower Drum Song, Allegiance and Once on this Island. But more importantly, people worldwide had known her to be the voice behind Disney's Princesses Jasmine and Mulan, naming her a Disney Legend as acknowledged by the Walt Disney Company. She is the very first Asian descent to win the Tony awards, and is also a recipient of Olivier Awards, Theater World Awards, Drama desk, Outer Critics Circle and locally based award giving bodies.

I promised myself last year that I'll be attending her December concert in Resorts World Manila but sadly, my workload did not approve of my vacation leave so I was forced to cancel the tickets I reserved for that event.

It seems it's true what they say; that promises are meant to be broken. Even the one I made for myself, I wasn't able to fulfill.

But alas! The one up above gave me yet another chance - as for this year, they will be holding a special run for a singing contest called The Voice.

And unlike its previous seasons this one's going to be a bit special as it's going to be an acapella version. The other rules will still be the same and the four judges remain the same as well.

This felt like my only chance now. I admit that I'm not really that good at singing. Heck, you could only hear me sing whenever I'm in the bathroom showering. But since for this season it does not need to have any music accompaniment , that means that I could try to tweak the arrangement and had the keys lowered down so at least I could reach the notes.

Whatever. It's not like I'm planning to win anyway. The only goal in mind is to perform in on the audition and to finally meet Coach Lea in person.

And so here I am sending an audition tape to the show hoping that I get to be part of the blind audition.

Fingers crossed.

xoxo Ellie Rae.