CH9 - Validation

As Ellie enters the music studio, she was again introduced to Gerard

As Ellie enters the music studio, she was again introduced to Gerard. They shook hands and then she stepped backwards to take position onto the microphone stand.

Lea explained to her how the knockout rounds would go, telling her that for this round she has the liberty to choose her own song.

In each artist session, Coach Lea confides with guest mentor Gerard what their music style is and what genre they are best to sing in. With careful discussion, Lea together with Gerard's aid, and the artist then finally comes to a conclusion on what they will be singing at the actual performance.

"So, how have you been El? You're the last one for today. Sorry ha nag-antay ka." (Sorry, you waited.)
Lea smiled at the young woman despite the fatigue she's starting to feel due to the long hours of taping for today.

"I'm fine.. I hope you guys are all good as well. I mean, with lots of artist that had gone through before me."

"Oh boy, you bet." Lea doesn't mind at all even if some of the staff can overhear them. As long as she knows she's doing her job right, it's all that matters. Besides, if there will be anything said that shouldn't be showcased for the episode, would be edited out by the cinematic crew.

"Good thing I had my coffee, keeps me awake and hyped." added by the Broadway star.

"Is she the one you mentioned last time?" Gerard asked Lea. Hearing this, it made Ellie bewildered as to why they might be talking about her even before their actual mentoring session.
Now she's curious on what things her coach exactly said to her younger brother about herself.

Lea then took a sharp look onto El's direction and nodded her head to answer the question of the man sitting beside her.

"Okay as what I've said in the group session, you're going to be fighting it out with Prince and Alicia. They both have chosen their songs na so this time, we're going to practice yours."

Ellie diligently listens to Lea as she nods in agreement.

"Do you already have a song in mind?"

"Uhmm.. I've been trying to decide between Memories or Someone you loved po."

"Those are actually good song choices." Gerard whispered to Lea. He would like to hear how this girl would be singing both of these songs so they could help her out decide which one to pick for the actual performance.

"Why don't we hear you sing each one of them first?" Said the smiling man.

————

She took the microphone in her right hand and held the stand with her left. Ellie cannot help feeling more nervous than before. Why won't she be, she's singing alone in front of the person of her dreams, together with her brother which is also a renowned name in the music industry.

It took a lot of courage for her to open up her mouth and start the song for demonstration. She doesn't know if it will pass by their standards.
"I'll just sing it with heartfelt emotions as I feel fit." Ellie thought to herself.

She started off with Memories originally sang by Maroon 5.

Here's to the ones that we got
Cheers to the wish you were here, but you're not
'Cause the drinks bring back all the memories
Of everything we've been through
Toast to the ones here today
Toast to the ones that we lost on the way
'Cause the drinks bring back all the memories
And the memories bring back, memories bring back you

There's a time that I remember, when I did not know no pain
When I believed in forever, and everything would stay the same
Now my heart feel like December when somebody say your name
'Cause I can't reach out to call you, but I know I will one day, yeah

Everybody hurts sometimes
Everybody hurts someday, ayy ayy
But everything gon' be alright
Go and raise a glass and say, ayy

Contrary with Ellie's self-insecurity, she sang the song beautifully. It might be on slow tempo adagio, but the way the song was interpreted was really top notch. Lea's clear diction may be unparalleled among all Filipino singers but El was able to bring justice to the song's words. It's as if she is just telling an emotional story to her listeners.

She might have not noticed it, but whilst she was singing, Gerard and Lea were whispering inaudibly to each other.

"Sis, this girl is good. She could actually go big on acoustics. Just the rawness of her voice is so captivating."

"Didn't I tell you? I found a gem on my team! Just needs to be polished a little more. I'm feeling quite confident that this girl would go on to the finals."

Lea might not be too obvious about it, but she feels so happy that Ellie is on her team. There is something about this girl that makes her drawn. If given a chance she would really like to know more about this young woman who admitted that she's an avid fan of hers.

As the song ended, Gerard and Lea both smiled to Ellie. She felt contented seeing those smiles, as she thought that her rendition is at least acceptable for their ears.

"That is so nice! It doesn't sound anything like Maroon 5. You owned the song, which we think is good kase sa dame ng artists ngayon sa industry, one must have their own style and originality and you've got it. (which we think is good because there are so many artists in the industry) What do you think Ger?"

"Yeah. As I was saying to Lea earlier, just your voice is good enough. I can only imagine how better it would be if an acoustic guitar or something would accompany you."

"But this is The Voice Acapella Ger. That can't be done." Lea chuckled with her commentary.

"I know, I know. I mean after this competition if she's going to debut in the OPM charts then.. you know.. Your voice will really be a hit."

"Alright, why don't we hear your second song now." the Broadway star asked.

With that, the iconic Salonga siblings braced themselves for another round of music that will burn their soul with goodness.