29: Don't Look Back

29: Don't Look Back

"...He called me... No, it wouldn't even matter because he has men everywhere. For all I know he could've been watching me this whole time! What's the whole point of working with the cops if they don't help? No, don't tell me to calm down!"

AJ takes Zayn's hand in hers and squeezes it, trying to calm him down. He looks at her and smiles sympathetic she pulls his arm around her body, leaning into him. He kisses the top of her head as he listens to Harry on the other end of the phone.

They were both on edge because of the whole situation. AJ blamed herself for everything and Zayn blamed himself for everything.

Zayn's phone call ends after a few minutes of bickering. Once he ends the call, AJ looks straight into his eyes and refuses to let him get up.

"Tell me what's going to happen," she demands, squeezing his hand in hers. "Please."

"AJ, I-"

"Zayn, please," she begs.

"They have enough proof for his arrest, so that's what's going to happen, hopefully."

"Hopefully?"

"He knows how to take out people very quickly if he needs to. He always has back up everywhere and he's not afraid of the cops."

"So what are they gonna do?"

"Attempt to arrest him."

"How?"

"Lure him in with me..."

"Zayn, you're going to get yourself killed!" AJ says to him, shaking her head frantically. "No, you can't do this. No, no, no, I won't let you." She starts freaking out and crying. "Zayn, you can't, please don't do this," she begs, hugging him tightly.

Zayn wraps his arms around her smaller frame and burrows his face into her neck, kissing her skin as he whispers sweet nothings into her shaking frame, trying his best to calm her down. "I'm going to be fine. I'm not going to get hurt. I promise you I will be fine. Please stop crying, baby, please."

She clutches on to him as she cries harder. "But last time-"

He pulls away from her and wipes her tears away with his thumbs. He gently holds her face between his hands and looks into her eyes. "Last time was very, very different. You have to trust me that I will not let anything happen to me or you or anybody that we care about, okay? This time we're going to be okay."

She nods and takes a deep, unsteady breath. "Okay, I believe you."

He smiles and kisses her forehead. "So this is what's going to happen tomorrow..."

***

AJ can't stop shaking. Nobody can calm her down; not even Zayn.

"Baby," Zayn whispers into her hair, "I need you to go with Harry now."

She held on to him tighter, nodding into his chest. They are sitting in Andy's car while he was off handling things. Their mother stayed home and Andy put Liam in charge of making sure she didn't leave the house under any circumstances. Andy also insisted AJ stayed back, but everyone else believed she was their best bet at catching this asshole, so she needed to be there.

"Nobody is going to hurt you," Zayn tells her, hugging her tightly. "And nobody is going to hurt me."

She nods, not really knowing what to say.

Zayn pulls away from her body and kisses her before leaning over her and opening the car door. He nods for her to get out. She does and he follows as they are greeted by Harry.