24: Misery

24: Misery

AJ's face shows about every emotion in existence as she reacts to Zayn's few words. "What? What do you mean? How is that even possible?" She asks frantically, trying to put everything together in her head. "We're so far from him! I don't understand, what the hell happened?"

Zayn breathes. "He's got men everywhere. The only thing I could think of was at McDonald's and that asshole who hit on you. There is a chance that maybe he could've been working for him, but I don't know for sure. He's found us somehow."

She looks at him with wide eyes. "Zayn, I told you, you should've just left him alone and we should've left!"

He looks at her for a second. "Are you serious? Alright, next time I'll yet let him rub his sleazy little fucking hands all over you!" He shouts in anger. What the hell is her problem? Blaming it on him when it's not even his fault; he was only protecting her.

She sighs. She should have known he was going to take it the wrong way. "Zayn, you know what I mean."

"No, I don't, because you always blame me for shit," he says as he continues driving. "You know, it's not always my fault."

"I didn't say it was your fau-"

He stops her. "Stop it, because you just gave me a crap of I told you so's!"

"Zayn-"

"Just stop," he says sternly. "I'm just trying to tell you what the fuck is going on and you can't just stop and listen instead of pointing fingers."

"I'm just saying-"

"Don't just say because that just makes everything more difficult, Annie."

She doesn't say a word. She just sinks into her seat, letting him finish. She doesn't risk pissing him off even more because that will make everything even worse.

"Just listen to me, okay?" He asks calmly. She nods, crossing her arms across her chest. He sighs and continues on. "How ever he found us, I don't exactly know. Maybe it was when we stopped or maybe it was when I was drunk. Either way, we can't change anything now. So, we're going to the cabin and we're going to figure out what is gonna to happen." He stops and takes a deep breathe. "I don't want you freaking out because I already know your nerves are shot."

"Zayn, I'm fine, really."

He shakes his head. "Just trust me and everything will be fine. Fighting is the last thing we need to be doing, though. We have to stick together and arguing will only drive us apart."

She nods, agreeing with him. "Alright, I'm sorry."

He sighs. "You don't have to be sorry, babe."

"So then-"

"Just leave it."

She sighs, sinking into her seat, not saying another word.

"Just sleep or something. We have a long drive," he tells her. AJ ignores him and leans her head against the window with her back towards him. He groans. It's going to be a long drive.

***

"AJ, baby, wake up," Zayn says as he shakes her gently.

She takes a deep breath with her eyes still closed. She stretches her arms and then rubs her eyes as she yawns. "What?" she asks groggily.

"We're here," he tells her, smile at her sleepy state.

"What time is it?"

"Almost midnight," he tells her.