14: Good Ones Go

14: Good Ones Go

“Alright, my sister is still sleeping, so we’re good,” Aston tells AJ who is sitting in his living room of his two bedroom apartment. He looks at her curious. She is staring down at her phone with a questioning look on her face. He stops in front of her and looks down at her. “What's wrong, babe?”

 AJ looks up at Aston from her seat on his sofa. “He doesn’t give up,” she tells him as she laughs to herself. 

 “Who?” He asks, sitting next to her.

 “Who do you think?” She asks him. 

 “Your dad?” 

 She shakes her head. “No. Zayn. He doesn’t give up and I don't understand. Why doesn’t he just let me do one thing to keep him safe? Like why does it always have to be him keeping me safe? I don’t get it.”

 Aston shrugs. “I don’t know.”

 “But, like really, if you were him, wouldn’t you want to keep me safe?” she asks him. “Like why doesn’t he just stay where he is so that we can both me safe? Why cant he just stop for two seconds and think? He’s so stubborn and ugh! He makes me so mad,” she rants.

 He shrugs again, staring at her for a moment. “Maybe he just needs to know your safe, ya know? If I was him, I would do the same thing, if I’m honest.”

 She groans and leans back into the sofa. “God, you too?”

 “No, not me too,” he mocks, making her smile. “It’s just, he loves you and everything and if he didn’t want to protect you then he’d be an ass.”

 “I know, but still,” she tells him. 

 “He’s just trying to make sure you’re safe,” he tells her.

 “It’s annoying,” she whines.

 “Then why don’t you just break up with him?” he snaps. “If you break up with him then your dad would have no reason to hate you and then you’ll be safe.”

 AJ turns to look at him. “Are you serious?” she asks him. “Remember when I as almost killed when we broke up?”

 “That was because they though you knew where he was. Didn’t you say that you didn’t fine out he was your father until then?” Aston asks.

 “Yeah, but-”

 “If it wasn’t for him, you wouldn’t even be in this mess,” he tells her.

 “That’s not true,” she tries to argue.

 “Alright fine, then what would happen if you broke up with him?”

 She shrugs. “I don’t know and I don’t want to know. I can’t live without him, it doesn’t even matter what would happen. I don’t even want to think about that right now.”

 “Maybe it’s time you did,” he tells her.

 “What is that suppose to mean?” she asks him.

 “He almost got you killed, AJ.”

 “Where the hell is all of this coming from?” she asks him, standing up from her seat. 

 Aston stands up with her. “I just don’t want to see you get hurt again. It would be best if you broke up with him, then you wouldn’t have to go through all the pain if something happened.”

 “But then I would have to go through the pain of breaking up with him,” she counters. 

 “But that would be nothing compared to what it would be like if God forbid he died or went back to jail.”