08: Don't Be Mad

08: Don’t Be Mad

The second Zayn leaves the house; he pulls his phone out of his pocket, dialing a familiar number. He continues his walk to his car as he waits for someone to answer the phone. He unlocks the door and gets into his car and a familiar small person, answers the phone. 

“Hello?” 

Zayn smiles to himself and starts his car. “Safaa, I thought I told you not to answer the phone,” he tells his little sister. 

He can hear her pout. “But, I like to! It makes me feel like a big girl!” she protests. 

Zayn chuckles to himself. “You’re still a little girl,” he reminds his almost eight-year-old sister. 

“I’m a big girl!” 

“A very big girl!” he encourages her. 

“That’s right,” she tells him with an attitude. 

Zayn laughs as he starts to drive. “Is mommy there?” he asks her. 

“Yes, why?” she asks. She is at that age when everything has to be explained into further detail. 

“Because I want to talk to her, sweetie,” he tells her. 

“Safaa! Who are you talking to?” He laughs as he hears his mother yelling. “Give me the phone!” 

Zayn hears as Safaa groans and hands the phone to her mother, stomping her small feet as she storms off. There is a small silence and then his mother starts talking into the phone. 

“It’s just me,” he tells her. “It’s alright. It’s not like she was talking to some criminal or wait-” he jokes. 

His mother sighs. “Very funny,” she tells him. 

He grins. “I’m kidding.”

He can practically hear her head shaking disapprovingly. “So why did you call?” she asks. “We just  poke the other day.”

“I was wondering if you were home. I wanted to talk to you about something,” he tells her. 

“We’re home. What did you want to talk about?” she asks. 

“Nothing. I just had an idea. You remember my girlfriend, AJ?” he asks, stopping at a red light, drumming on the stirring wheel with his free hand. 

“I remember you mentioning her, but not so much of her, seeing that I’ve never met her,” she tells him. “Why?”

“Remember how I told you that she’s living with Sonny?” 

“Yes, I remember.”

 “Well, I just left her mom’s place and I started talking to her about AJ moving and-”

“Are you going to move her in with you?” she asks, cutting him off. 

“Well, sort of, it’s complicated.”

“What could be so complicated about- What did you do?” she suddenly asks. 

He groans at her sudden accusing voice. “I didn’t do anything.”

“I already know you, Zayn. I swear if you got yourself arrested again-”

“I didn’t get arrested. Thank you for having faith in me.”

“Then what happened? What did you do?” she asks. 

“I’ll explain everything when I get there,” he tells her. “I’ll see you in a bit, yeah?”