10: Been Here Before

“Keep your head down, do you understand me?” Zayn tells AJ sternly. She nods and quickly follows orders, fearing for her life. 

Zayn speeds out of the parking lot and down the busy street. He drives quickly, swerving in and out of lanes as he keeps an eye on the three cars on his tail. “Have you ever seen Fast and Furious?” he asks.

“Yeah…”

“Well, you’re about to experience one,” Zayn tells her as he takes a ramp on to the highway. 

“Super,” she mumbles, keeping her head down. 

“Sorry,” he tells her sympathetically as he speeds up. “They just can’t leave me the hell alone,” he mutters to himself. “Hold on, okay?” 

AJ makes no effort to answer. She just keeps her head low, knowing she really doesn’t have much of a choice. The car ride is quiet until they hear another gun shot. AJ jumps but stays low. However, this time, she starts to cry. 

Zayn looks in his rearview mirror and groans. “They’re trying to blow my tires. They’re not going to shoot at us. They just want to slow us down.”

“Can’t you shoot back?” 

Zayn is looks at AJ. “What?” he asks, confused about her outburst. 

“Don’t you have your gun? Or something to stop them?” she asks, getting overwhelmed. “You always have that stupid thing on you, don’t you? Where is it? Do you have one in the car?” she asks, starting to feel under her seat. 

“Babe, there’s nothing there. I don’t have a gun in my car,” he tells her trying to calm her down and drive at the same time. “AJ, stop, it’s going to be okay,” he tells her. 

“They’re trying to kill us, Zayn!” She shouts, sitting up straight. With that, another shot is fired. 

“Keep your head down!” he tells her, pushing her back down. 

She starts crying harder in her lap. “What do I do?” she asks. “what’s going to make them go away?” she asks. 

Zayn sighs and fishes his phone out of his pocket. “Call your brother and tell him what’s happened. Then have him get everything out of your room at Sonny’s.”

AJ nods and follows his orders. She calls her brother and he answers on the third ring. She tells him what is going on and to gather her things. Zayn tells her that he will pick everything up in the morning or when everything calms down. Andy tells her not to use her phone because he had a feeling that Sonny was tracking it. AJ listens and turns off her phone. Before she hangs up, she tells him to tell their mother that she was okay and that she loves them both. 

After she hangs up, he tells her to call Harry to fill him in and fill a police report. She tells Harry the plate numbers and the highway they are on quickly as she tries to stay calm. She soon hangs up and focuses on their current situation.