11: For You

11: For You

“You're fucking crazy.”

 AJ rolls over into her pillow, groaning when she realizes Zayn's warmth is missing from the bed. She moves her hand around, trying to find him in the bed, but it's no use; he's already up. She sighs and pulls the blankets up to her face, trying to stay warm. Zayn had put the air conditioning up all the way last night. 

 “She's not staying with him. I don't give a shit if it's safer. She's staying with me.”

 AJ's eyes shoot open when she recognizes the muffled voice coming from outside the bedroom door. Rubbing her eyes, she sits up and focuses on figuring out what Zayn is talking about. 

 “She'll be fine with me! I'm not going to let her out of my sight. She'll be fine! Nobody is going to find us here.”

 AJ stays quiet as she hears a muffled groan come from behind the closed door. As footsteps approach the door, she ducks under the covers, pretending to sleep again. The door slowly opens and closes again with a click. A heavy sigh comes from across the room and she hears footsteps approaching the bed. The bed goes in and then up again, meaning somebody, Zayn, had joined her again. AJ stays quiet and pretends to be sleeping. 

 Zayn moves over to cuddle her in his strong arms. He buries his face in the crotch of her neck and kisses her skin. “I know you're awake,” he whispers. “How much did you hear?”

 She turns to him. “Who's crazy?”

 Zayn sighs and rolls over on to his back. “Harry wants me to send you to that prick's house until Sonny calms down.”

 “Aston?” She asks, looking at him curiously. 

 “Whatever the hell his name is,” he mutters. 

 She sighs and sits up. “Does he think it's not safe here?” She asks. 

 “Apparently,” Zayn mutters, obviously annoyed at his friend's opinion. “But it is safe. Nobody is going to find us here. Only Harry and Lou know about this place.”

 “Why doesn't he think it's safe?”

 Zayn shrugs. “He thinks Sonny has a tracking device on your phone, so he'll know you're here.”

 “What does Andy think?” She asked. “Because if he doesn't think it's safe, I don't want to be here.”

 He groans and rolls over to his side. “We're fine. You don't have to worry. I already told you that-”

 “Don't lie to me, Zayn. What did Harry say? Are they looking for me?” She asks, holding eye contact. 

 “He doesn't know.”

 She stares at him. “Let me talk to him.”

 “Do you really not believe me? You've got to be kidding me. You know I would be the first one to tell you if it wasn't safe for you here.” He stands up and grabs his phone from the nightstand. “If you really want to talk to him, here. I'm going to shower.” He hands her his phone and then storms out if the room.

 She sighs and stares at his phone. If she calls anybody, Zayn would be beyond pissed. But would she rather have him mad or dead? Mad and alive sounds better than happy and dead. She shoves her face into the pillow for a second, thinking everything over in her head. When she hears the water turn on in the shower down the hall, she sits up and dials a number. 

 “Finally came to your senses, I s–”

 “Harry? Hi, listen, it's AJ, not Zayn,” she quickly tells the familiar voice.