23: Demons

23: Demons

His phone keeps ringing; ringing and ringing. Zayn keeps groaning and telling AJ he'll call whoever it is back some other time. But after half hour of nonstop ringing, AJ pushes Zayn off and grabs his phone for him, answering it as he tries to stop her. 

“It's Harry,” she tells him, handing him his phone. “He needs to talk to you and it sounds important.”

Zayn groans and takes the phone, still hovering over her. “What?” Zayn angrily says into his phone. “This better be important.”

AJ pushes him to sit next to her because she knows he's probably going to be on the phone for awhile. She pulls his t-shirt over her head, coving her half naked body and lays her head on his bare chest as he continues on the phone. 

“Where the hell did you go?” Harry asks. By the tone of his voice Zayn can tell he's very annoyed. 

“I told you, I was getting out if the city,” Zayn mutters, very frustrated. 

“I know that, dumbass. Where did you go?”

“I'm by the border,” he answers.

Fuck,” Harry curses. “He's found you.”

Zayn's eyes widen and he sits up immediately, AJ moving with him. “Who?” 

Sonny.”

Zayn’s heart stops for a minute. It’s impossible. There is no way in hell that Sonny or any of his men found him. They’ve been so good with not being seen. They’ve laid low and stayed out of sight for the past couple days. 

“Where the fuck did he see me?” Zayn asks. 

“I don't know.  It wasn't him, it was one of those kids he hires, like how you started, collecting money and shit.”

“But we didn't stop anywhere near London. We only stopped at a McDonald's about twenty minutes from here. He doesn't have people this far up,” Zayn says through the phone. 

“I don't know maybe he sent people everywhere when you guys took off,” he suggest. “That's the only logically thing. He really wants to find you two. I don’t know what the hell his problem is.”

“He’s a punk, that’s what it is. He can’t just come up to me himself and tell me what he wants, he has to send people after me,” Zayn groans in frustration.

AJ looks at him, very worried. “What’s going on?” she asks.

He ignores her as Harry answers him. “Have either of you been out by yourselves or gotten into any trouble?” he asks.

Zayn stops to think. “I don’t think we ha-”

He stops mid-sentence and looks at AJ. “Shit,” he mutters. “Fuck,” he says, crawling over her body to plant his feet on the floor. He starts pacing back and forth and she jumps up, really worried about what’s going on now.

“What? What is it?” Harry asks frantically. 

“When we drove up her, I beat the shit outta some kid who bothered AJ, fuck,” he says into the phone. “He had to be around the same age as I was when I started. Shit, shit, shit.”

“What the hell would you-”

“I was stressed and really pissed. I wasn’t fucking thinking. Shit,” he curses again. 

“Zayn, what’s going on?” she asks again. “What are you talking about?”

He turns to her and presses his phone to his chest. “Start packing and I’ll explain later,” he says sternly.