Chapter 18

Olivia POV

We arrived at the mansion. "In all honesty it should be called a castle, not a mansion." John said in the backseat. I looked at the place, it hadn't changed a bit.

"Well a castle is bigger. At least for use." Kane got out and I opened my door. I got up and Kane was there. I took his arm as John got out of the car. I looked at the mansion. "How long do we have to be at this thing?" Kane sighed.

"At least until the fireworks are over. So midnight." I leaned my head against his arm.

"So be in a building with most of the people that I loath for four hours. Shouldn't be too hard." He sighed.

"Just do what we talked about. Both of us behave and we smile. Maybe we can make new connections." I looked at him.

"New connections, if you say so." I looked at some of the people going in. Half of the people I have either gotten on a bad note with or on the borderline with. The other half didn't know who I was. "I'm not good at this Kane."

"You'll do fine. Just don't get into any fights and you'll be fine." I nodded and he lead me towards the entrance. A lot of security, they have the hounds out today. We passed by the dogs and into the entry hall. We got to the guards at the door taking invitations. "You bring the invitation?" Kane asked looking down at me. I looked at him.

"Yeah, I have it slipped under my dress." He chuckled. "Please, please don't play this game. I don't wanna be held at gunpoint today."

"I have it, just need it to get that one in." He said tilting his head towards John. We got to the man and I looked at him. He raised a brow.

"Little loud for a black and white event." I felt my heart drop.

"Is that a joke?" He shook his head.

"No ma'am." I looked at Kane. He was smirking a little. I glared at him and he laughed a little. I hit his arm.

"You're an ass." I growled and the guard chuckled.

"Hey, I had nothing to do with that." He held up his hand and the guard grabbed Kane's. "Thats on this ass."

"Nice to see you again Kane. Gone a long way since the academy."

"As for you, when did you start guarding parties?" He chuckled.

"Well, maybe if you're still in town for a few days we can get together for some drinks. You can bring her too if you want." He said glancing at me. "Wanna introduce you're old roommate with your new one?" Kane chuckled a little and bit his lip.

"Olivia, this is Maverick. He was my roommate at the Academy. Maverick, Olivia." He scoffed and laughed a little.

"Mate, damn. Never thought you'd find someone that could tie you down." I looked at Kane then Maverick.

"Tie him down?" He looked at Kane.

"Never did date anyone long. You must be special if you got him to settle." I looked at the ground.

"Thanks Maverick. The pup is with me too." He said and we walked in. I looked at Kane.

"Hey...um...what Maverick said-" I stopped.

"Kane." I looked up at him. "I don't care about your relationships in the academy. Past is past." I know all to well to leave things in the past.

"Sorry about him." I shook my head.

"Don't be, maybe when we have drinks he'll tell me some stories about the academy." He took my arm and let out a breath.

"You don't want to know about those." He smirked a little as we walked into the ballroom. It was a well lit area. Little globes of light floated in the air above everyones heads. I looked around and saw people dancing, eating bite size foods, drinking champaign, or talking.