Twenty-Five.

FLASHBACK | seven months earlier

"Please, just let me out. Aiden doesn't have to know you let me out." The guards ignored Malik as they waited for Aiden to arrive.

"Shut up." The guards groaned as they listened to Malik beg and plead for the past twenty minutes.

"He's going to hurt me really bad, please you have to help me!"

"You should've thought about that before you tried to escape."

Malik's blood ran cold as he heard Aiden's voice.

"I-" Aiden put his hand up, silencing him.

"I don't want to hear anything that comes out of your mouth." Aiden took out a shiny red ball gag from his back pocket and placed it around Malik's mouth tightly. "You had me looking everywhere for you, you know how upset that made me?"

Aiden held his hand out towards one of the guards. Malik looked confused until a hammer was placed in his hand. He started squirming wildly in the chair. He grumbled words but it all was incoherent due to the ball gag.

"You can't run with broken knees."

Malik's eyes widened as Aiden brought the hammer down on his knee.

PRESENT

Malik rocked back and forth in the rocking chair as he lulled a sleeping Maliah. It was two in the morning yet he was wide awake. He hadn't been getting much sleep lately due to his paranoia and Maliah was the perfect way to keep his mind off of his thoughts. His beautiful baby girl Maliah Noelle Carter was born a few weeks ago, weighing seven pounds and ten ounces. She was so tiny and she was the spitting image of Jiani.

The knock on the nursery room door made Malik pause his humming

The knock on the nursery room door made Malik pause his humming. The door opened, revealing Jiani. She was wearing a white robe and her satin bonnet.

"Couldn't sleep again?" She smiled sympathetically as she entered the room.

"I'll be okay." He answered as he stared down at Maliah adoringly, stroking her coal black hair.

"Malik I'm really worried about you. Your insomnia is getting worse." She sat across from him on the windowsill.

"I know. It's so hard trying to sleep. Every time I close my eyes all I see is him."

The fear of Aiden was really eating him alive. Malik didn't even leave his home. He worked from home, he shopped online for everything, Maliah's birth was even done at home. Jiani was being as supportive as she could be but she did hate the fact that they couldn't go out together like used to. However, she didn't try to pressure Malik into leaving home. She understood why he was scared, she'd seen the multiple scars, listened to the doctor's report of multiple concussions and broken bones. His fear was justifiable.