Chapter 33:: Invitation Cards

Hey! Sorry for not updating. I had a writer's block and my mind stopped working completely. Even this chapter might sound boring and a bit rushed :/

-
~~~HUSSAIN's POV~~~

"Preet, I will figure out something. Just trust me?" I touched my forehead on her's and she closed her eyes. The silence melted my insides and I wished for this moment to just pause because my heart was scared of what might come next.

Preet pulled her hands out of mine and stepped away, "that's what I am telling you. I don't want you to figure anything out," she whispered and turned away.

"Preet?" I tried saying but the words vanished in thin air.

I ran a hand through my hair and she let out a loud sigh, "s...stay away from m-me. I don't... wa- want this," her voice was shaking. Her heart wasn't really with her. She was lying.

"Preet-" I tried again but, she beat me.

"If whatever you said was real for even a mere second, don't stop me," she sobbed, "tumhe kasam hai meri. Stay away."

I stood there silently, staring at her back. How could she be so selfish?

"Bye Hussain. Agar destiny main Hua toh phir milenge," she said, facing me but, her eyes refused to look at me.

I stood there blankly, looking at her while she slowly stepped back and disappeared into the darkness.

~
"Bhai wake up!" I heard Maha calling me, "it's 10:30." I slowly parted my eyelids and sighed. Ek hi dream baar baar. Why?

"Go downstairs and I'll meet you there," I yawned and she nodded.

"Don't sleep or next time mom will bring a mop with her," she giggled before closing the door.

Maha Asif. My crazy, little, annoying yet cute angel.

Chal bhai Hussain, agar maar nahi khaani toh uth jaa.

After a quick shower I headed downstairs for breakfast. It wasn't mama who was cooking, instead it was Maha. She was making pancakes for the first time and I was the bechara she was going to experiment them on.

"I won't die after eating this right?" I joked and she frowned at me. I let out a light laugh before eating them. As a first try, they tasted pretty good.

By the time I finished eating, Atif and Aisha bhabhi arrived. Bhai had invited all our friends over today as he thought that I have started to resemble Devdas who doesn't drink but still looks drunk... And lost ... And miserable. I quickly went upstairs and changed into good clothes. By the time I went downstairs, the lawn was full of chatty people.

There was a barbecue set up next to the swimming pool and garden chairs were placed neatly. I saw a number of unfamiliar faces too. Guess Bhai just gave out 'friends of friends allowed' invitation. While everyone chatted, ate and danced, I chose a quite spot with my mind racing back to the same person. Preet. Baar baar kyu yaad aa jati ho tum?

I sat there, lost in my own world until something reflected sun straight into my eyes and blocked my vision. I squinted my eyes and spotted a yellow courier van. I walked up to it and an aged man handed me two couriers. I signed the register and he left.

"Who is it for?" Adeel asked, looking curious.

"Me and dhoombros," I said while shuffling between the two parcels. I handed them to Maha and decided to wait until the party was over.

It was 5pm when everyone finally decided to leave. Only Atif, Aisha bhabhi, Waqas, Adeel and my family was left. I immediately plopped on the sofa the moment we got back inside the house.