Chapter 4.0

King Ravi's Log - The Interview

11 January, 2015.
Paris, France.

============================================================

When my eyes opened the next morning, Dan was standing over me.
"Come on. We have work to do after breakfast." He said.
A groan escaped my mouth. What I didn't know at the time was, that was going to be my last satisfying night of sleep for a long time.

We had bread-butter, oats in milk and strawberries for breakfast. It was fulfilling. After breakfast was over, all three of us sat back again on the dining table. It was a small table made for four people which meant we were sitting quite close to each other. I was extremely careful not to touch Lucie with my leg. After I blurted out last night that I loved her, I was very self-aware of what I did and spoke. I hadn't uttered a word all morning.

I had had very few experiences with the opposite sex over my 22 years of being a male. Never been kissed. True story. This resulted in my overly anxious behaviour around women. I developed instant crushes on beautiful women that never ended well. Control your emotions, Rav. Control.

"So, what now?" I asked not looking Lucie in the eye.
"Wait. Wait." Dan took out a piece of folded paper from his front jeans pocket.
We had'nt changed clothes since yesterday. Another day and they would start to smell real bad.
"I have prepared a list of questions for Lucie. I was awake till late last night preparing them. Rav, go ahead. Take her interview."
"What? Why me? You prepared the questions, you do it." I said
"I am recording it. Can't do both at the same time." He dangled his phone in front of my face.
"You have enough battery left?"
"Yeah. I switched it off last night to save battery. And don't worry, I called Rachel from Lucie's phone after you went to sleep. Brock will be calling Lucie's phone any minute."
"All right. Let's do this. I am eager to get some answers as well."

Dan handed me the piece of paper. Then, to my surprise, he took out another paper from his other pocket. He handed this to Lucie.
"What's this?" Lucie asked
"You have to ask Ravi one question for every two questions he asks you. Can't have him asking all the questions."
"Hey!" I yelped.
"Come on. This will be fun, you guys. Act like this is being aired on live television." Dan held up his phone to start recording.

Below is the transcript of the very awkward interview that was orchestrated and recorded by Dan.
(R = Ravi, which is me, L = Lucie and D = Dan)(Note: Everything being said except for the answers was as written on the paper.)

D: One. Two. Three. Go.
R: Hello, Lucie. Welcome to the 'Morning show with Dan Smith'. I am Ravi Sharma, your host for today's show. (I glanced at Dan, who was grinning stupidly.) Nice of you to participate in this interview.
L: Thank you, Ravi.
R: First of all, Tell us exactly how you found me and Dan yesterday.
L: I didn't find Dan. I found you. My assignment was to find anyone with a multi-coloured Aura in the state of California and bring them to India with force, if necessary.

I looked at Dan.
"This is stupid. Can't I ask her normally?"
"No."
"Then, can I ask her follow-up questions that are not listed here?"
"Yeah, you don't have to ask me that."
"Oh I have to, you weirdo!"
"Ha-ha. I'll edit this part out. You may continue."

R: What do you mean, multi-coloured Aura?
L: Every living being in this world has energy within them. This energy has various names. The most famous name given to it is 'Ki' or 'Chi'. Everyone's energy has a color that represents the nature of their 'Ki'. When I saw this assignment listed, it was the first time I had heard of a Multi-colored 'Aura' - which is the color of 'Ki'. I got curious and took the assignment. You didn't disappoint. You do have a multi-colored Aura.
R: The assignment was listed? Who listed it? Where?

"Uh. Uh. Uh. That's two questions, Rav. It is Lucie's turn to ask a question." Dan interrupted.

L: Euh...How do I ask this? Was it really Dan's dog that ate his homemade cupcakes last Christmas or was it you?
R: You still haven't let that go yet? (To Dan)
D: ......
R: It was me that ate the cupcakes.
D: Aha! I knew it!
R: The assignment? (To Lucie)
L: I am a freelance fighter. There are several forums on the internet that provide contracts. Different forums list different types of contracts. There are some which list killing contracts. There are party contracts which require entertaining crowds with your abilities. I am a part of several such forums. I only take rescue missions. I cross-reference the rescue missions with the killing contracts to find a match sometimes. There was a kill order out for you as well as a rescue contract. And for the first time, the rescue contract paid more than the killing contract.

R: But how exactly did you and those goons find me?
L: Everyone has friends. There are some people in this world who have the ability to sense Auras to exact locations. Once it was known that you were in California, finding you was not that difficult. If the person who listed the rescue assignment is from India, then he or she is a world-class Sensor. Sensing over such a long distance is amazing.
R: About your teleportation ability..
L: My turn. Was it you who told Dan's mother about him smoking weed once?
(I glared at Dan angrily.)
R: Yes, it was me. It was payback for you deleting my save points in 'Far Cry 3'.
D: .....

R: About your teleportation ability...How does that work?
L: All special abilities are nothing but manipulation of one's Ki. Some people can enhance their physical strength with the help of Ki, while others like me use it to teleport. Increase in physical ability is the most basic manipulation of Ki and most people do it easily with little amount of physical training. Manipulating Ki to throw fireballs is much more complex and requires dedication to be able to control.  Everyone has a specialty. I can't manipulate time, but I am one of the best in the world when it comes to teleportation. I am not that good of a Sensor either.
R: Can Dan do it? If yes, will you teach it to him?
L: ....... (looking at Dan uneasily)
R: .......(Killing Dan with my eyes)
D: .......
L: I don't know if he can do it. Maybe. I can't teach it to him either. I am not good at teaching. Sorry.
L : Okay. Last question. What did you mean last night when you said 'I Love you' ?

My face reddened with embarrassment and I got up from the table.
"This interview is over. I need to wash my eyes. There's something in them." I said and started towards the stairs.
I could hear both Dan and Lucie's laughter ringing in my ears till I reached the attached bathroom of the guest bedroom.

Dan. That ass-hat. I will get him back for this.

After some time, Dan came upstairs holding Lucie's cell phone. It was Brock. I asked Brock to guard my house without letting my parents realize that the house was being guarded. He agreed for the price of 150 $ per day. Money was to be deposited in the account of 'Parker Security Solutions' at the end of each week. There would be 2 guards each for the day shift and the night shift. I hesitantly consented to the terms and disconnected the call. The life of my parents was more important to me than 1000 $ per week. I called my parents and let them know that I had already left for India. Dan called his parents to do the same. His call was much longer than mine. It required him having to tell many lies.

It's good that Brock didn't ask too many questions. I need to earn some money before going to India. Contracts. I thought. I went to Lucie's bedroom with Dan lagging behind me.

"I want to do a contract." I said.
Lucie was painting her toe nails. The color was a pretty, bright, pink.
"Are you crazy?" She looked up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note: How was the chapter? Good? Bad? Terrible? Let me know in the comments! Thanks for reading and vote if you like the chapter. :) - Phenil

Update: I have added a Prologue before chapter 1.0 and also edited it a little since it was so bad. :( If you haven't read that yet, please do so before proceeding further. Thanks :)