Chapter 15.2

=============================================================

King Ravi's Log - A Different Battle

=============================================================

I drifted in and out of consciousness. My head hurt real bad and I felt like it would have been better if I was unconscious. Bluebell was running through the forest with me draped over his shoulder. The constant noise of his thumping footsteps and the vibrations inside my head and body that those footsteps caused were super annoying. I couldn't bear it much longer and was soon out of it.

The next time I woke up, my head hurt a little less and I was more aware of my surroundings. Bluebell was still running. At breakneck speed. You know the speed at which people's necks break. I could tell that it was very late in the evening with visibility being very low. I turned my head sideways and saw Dan running beside Bluebell with unbelievable speed. Turning my head sideways was a mistake. My vision grew dizzy and I was once again knocked out.

The third time I awakened, it was night. Bluebell was, thankfully, walking now. There were no trees around and as I lifted my eyes upward, without lifting my head, I could make out the silhouette of another giant ahead of Bluebell that blocked most of my view. My head was not hurting anymore, so I patted Bluebell's arm. I didn't particularly enjoy being carried around like a sack of potatoes.

"Hey! Put me down!" I said when apparently he didn't notice me.

He stopped as he heard my voice and put me down very gingerly, for a giant, that is.

"Hmph!" Blubell snorted from his nose and moved his shoulder around. I guess even giants can have sore shoulders if they carried an 80 KG man around for god knows how long.

"You're awake!" Dan said from behind me. I steadied myself on my feet before turning back to face him. He was being carried around, piggyback style, by another giant. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Run out of stamina?" I asked.
"Nah. I got lots of oil left in the tank. I just snapped my leg bone while running." He said sheepishly as I looked towards his feet. His right foot was wrapped in makeshift bandages below the knee.
"Oh. That's awful, bro! I hope it heals soon!" I said.
"Yeah, don't worry about it." he tried to smile but winced instead.

We walked for a few minutes before we reached a big cave in a big mountain. And by big, I don't mean small. I mean big. There were already many giants inside the cave before we arrived. Some of them were sleeping on the cave floor in a row, while most of them sat talking in groups of twos and threes around several small fires. The fires were so miniscule that I could barely make out the faces of those sitting around them.

Bluebell walked ahead of us and sat at the end of the entrance of the cave, if that makes any sense. The cave entrance was a huge semi-circular arc and it's walls were made up of black rock. Bluebell slumped against the cave wall and two giants from our party sat facing him in relaxing postures. One of them handed Bluebell his brown sling that I saw at the river. He placed it to his right. The other giants from our party disappeared deeper into the cave. I sat down beside Bluebell on his left and watched as the giant carrying Dan also disappeared into the cave, most probably to give him some medical attention.

I noticed that all the fires were lit as further away from the cave entrance as possible. I guess they didn't want to be noticed by Dragons flying at night. I could see half a sky from my vantage point. It was a full moon day. The stars sparkled and the moonlight bathed everything in a silvery shade. I closed my eyes. Back in India, we had a festival called 'Sharad Poornima', where Sharad means the early autumn season in the Hindu calender and Poornima means Full Moon. So the festival was celebrated to mark the end of monsoon. People ate a dish called 'Kheer' which is sweet rice and milk, to celebrate the harvest.

Damn, I am hungry.

My stomach grumbled. After a minute or two, I don't know how long, Bluebell got up from beside me. I didn't bother asking anything. We didn't understand each other's languages. But we were able communicate effectively enough using signals and natural instinct.