Chapter 2.3

King Ravi's...Forget it...Still Day 3...

I called Dan and told him to meet me in the parking lot of the local supermarket.

"Bring some cash with you or your credit card." I told him.
"Why?" he asked.
"Because I said so. This isn't something I wanna tell you over the phone."
"Oooh. Are we playing 'You Spy-I Spy'?" Dan asked.
"What IS that? I am serious, Dan."
"Ok. I will be there in 10 minutes. And 'You Spy-I Spy' is just a game me and my brother used to play when we were kids. We pretended to be spies working for the CIA. We didn't know what spies actually did. It was more of a detective game than a spy game. I became an expert at finding things. Like this one time, my mom's wedding ring was misplaced and I -"
I hung up the phone.
This time, he is doing it on purpose. Dan was one of the smartest guys I knew. He loved to get on my nerves. There is always this hidden sarcasm when he talks. Sometimes, it is difficult to categorize his ramblings. I wouldn't know what label to use; 'sarcastic comment of the century' or 'didiotic blabber shit'.

When I reached, Dan's car was already parked. He drove a white Ford Escape, very similar in style to my white Mazda 3. But Dan had got his car as soon as he got his driver's licence unlike me. My car was a recent purchase that resulted in 'Buyer's Remorse'. I used Dan's car a lot when we were in college. We both went to the San Jose State University, since it was close to both our homes. We didn't know each other very well until the end of our first year despite being in the same class. We gradually became good friends. In our final year, we shared an apartment that was in very close proximity to the campus.

Dan got out of his car. He was a thin fellow with average Caucasian male height. His silky smooth brown hair almost reached his eyes. Why can't I have hair like him? I thought as I got out of the car. I had parked mine right next to his. I sat on the hood of my car and Dan sat on his. I had a legitimate Deja Vu moment right then. It felt like I had done this before with Dan.

"So..." Dan started.
"I gotta tell you something man. But you have to promise me not to tell this to anyone else. Not even Charlie (his brother)."
"Okay." He shrugged.
"Where do I start?"
"Start from the beginning, like I do." He replied.
"Oh no no no. I am not telling a story your way. Your way involves too many side stories and lengthy digressions. My way is better."
He was about to argue, so I held up my hand.
"The night before my birthday, I saw a shooting star. I made a wish that my life were like a game. It came true. The morning of my birthday, I wake up and I have this super-weird superpower. Then later that night I had a dream in which I met this warrior with a sword and he told me to come find him in India. He said I was a King and that I had to participate in this 'Battle of the Ten Kings'." I stopped and looked at him.
Dan had no expression on his face.
"Looks like we are playing 'You Spy-I Spy' after all, huh?" He finally said with a smile.
"So based on the clues, I have come to two conclusions. One, you have been playing a lot of games. Two, you have been smoking marijuana since past three nights. You shouldn't do drugs, Rav." Dan wiggled his finger back and forth as if he was chastizing a child. I slid down from the hood of my car and walked towards him.

"I am serious, Dan. Please, please, please believe me. I am not lying. I can see holograms flying around my head. I can see people's power levels and their names, with a simple thought! I want you to come with me to India. You will believe me after you meet Aditya - the warrior, I mean."
"What about my job? I am not going to India based on your cuckoo talk. Are you sure that there is no chemical imbalance in your brain? Are you sure that you are not hallucinating?" Dan asked seriously.

"Okay. Okay. How about this? Don't believe me. Just assume that we are going on a vacation to India. I get to meet my grandma and you get to enjoy 'Incredible India', as they call it in those tourism adverts." I pleaded.
"Fine. One week. That's all you get. And I am doing this because it's you. I wouldn't have done this for anyone else. Remember that. You owe me one." Dan replied as he too slid off his car's hood.

"Yesss!" I offered him a high five. He left me hanging for about 5 seconds and then reciprocated unenthusiastically.
"Now, let us go inside. I have to buy mountain climbing equipment and other stuff. I hope you brought money like I asked." I put a hand on his shoulder.

Two Holos appeared.
Exp Gain: 30
Negotiation: Skill level increased +2. Level 3.

As I was looking at the Holos, I saw two men approaching us. I couldn't see their faces. The sun was behind them blinding my eyes. Dan couldn't have seen them at all since his back was turned towards them. One of them was holding a baseball bat in his hand. As they came close, he started to jog and lifted the bat. To my horror I realized, what was about to happen.

"Dan get down!" I yelled and pulled him behind me with one hand and lifted my other hand above my head. No sooner had I pulled Dan than the baseball bat came rushing down on my left forearm.

Crunch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: A Dialogue heavy chapter. But these chapters are my favorite. I get to play with the personalities of my characters through their conversations. Hope you liked it! Put a comment below and vote! (If you want) Thanks :) - Phenil