Chapter 10

It was finally Friday, I had gone through a another batch of files when Amaka poked her head into my cubicle.

"Hey" she greeted.

"Hey" I replied looking up from the file.

"I'm going for a coffee run, should I get you the usual?" She asked.

I nodded and smiled. She smiled back and left. I turned my attention back to the file, typing the data into the computer.

She returned a few minutes later with a two cups of coffee and a box.

"Here you go. One coffee, black, no milk with sugar and a cupcake." She said setting it down on my table.

"You're a lifesaver. How much is that?" I asked.

"Nope. It's on me" she smiled before leaving.

I sighed taking a sip of the coffee before going back to work.

                     *******************

"Well I'll be damned" a voice exclaimed making me spin around in my chair.

"What are you doing here?" I asked keeping the file away.

"I was in the area and I decided to drop by" Khalifa replied.

"How's Najma?" I asked, feeling guilty for the way I snapped at her. It wasn't her fault and I took it out on her.

"She's great. I was just coming from her place, she's heading to Hajiya's house to see Yasmin. I nodded and made a mental note to get home before she left.

"So you really are working" he mentioned gesturing to work table.

"Yeah. It's either this or death by boredom" I replied smirking. He chuckled rolling his eyes.

He stayed till it was time for Jumu'ah Prayers which also was the time we closed on Friday.

"Where are you heading to for prayers?" He asked leaning against his car.

"The masjid near Hajiya's house." I answered. "What about you?"

"Same place."

             *************************

After the prayers, we headed to Hajiya's residence. I inhaled deeply, dreading meeting Najma.

Khalifa walked in before me, he greeted Hajiya who was on the arm chair while Yasmin and Najma were on the floor working on a puzzle.

"Good afternoon Hajiya" I greeted.

"Good afternoon Abba. How was work?" She asked.

"It was fine Alhamdulillah" I replied, my eyes moving to Najma who still had not said anything to me.

"What type of puzzle is this?" Khalifa asked.

"A Disney Jigsaw puzzle... 2000 pieces. I got it on my way here and Yasmin and I have been working on it." Najma answered.

"Here, let me help" he said. I watched them all work together. Khalifa assisting Yasmin with the pieces and asking her which princess was which.

"I think I'm going to go lie down for a few minutes." I said to Hajiya who was watching them with a smile on her face. She nodded and I took my leave.

Heading to the chalet, I decided to take a shower before slipping into bed. I frowned when I checked my Instagram page, I wasn't superficial about my followers but a drop of almost 500 followers had me sitting up. I went through the list.

Shit

Most of the people I partied with. The people I called friends.

The cat was truly out of the bag then, if all these people could unfollow me then all of Abuja knew I had been cut off

I groaned tossing the phone aside, feeling an headache coming up. I rolled over to the bedside locker and grabbed an advil,  swallowing it, I pulled up the blanket and welcomed the sleep.

             *************************

It was late afternoon, almost evening by the time I woke. I prayed Asr and headed to the main house through the kitchen.

Najma was by the fridge, holding a bottle of water, her eyes on her phone. I cleared my throat and made my way over to her.

"Uhm, Najma. Can we talk?" I asked.

"I'm listening" she murmured not looking up from her phone.

I sighed "Please Najma. Can you at least look at me? I am really sorry about yesterday. I know we promised never to keep any secrets between us but... I'm sorry. I really am." I pleaded.

She looked at me, her eyes glossy from unshed tears.

"What you said yesterday really hurt me Abba, I can't say I know how it feels but a problem shared is a problem half solved. Just don't hide things like this away from me. We're family, it was horrible having to hear it been whispered in my office."

"We'll figure something out." She said smiling. I smiled back happy everything was back to normal with her.

We headed back into the house were Yasmin was asleep on the sofa, her head lolled to the side in an uncomfortable angle. I walked over and gently gathered her into my arms.

"I'll be back" I whispered.

"Okay. Let me move the puzzle to the side" she replied gesturing to the half done puzzle.

I made my way to her room. This was my first in her room, it was like any ordinary room in Hajiya's house. Cream walls, a double bed, wardrobes and a door leading to the bathroom.

I laid her on the bed and adjusted the covers, turning on the AC and dimming the lights, I turned to leave when I noticed a paper shopping bag by the bed. Curious, I walked over and looked through.

Clothes

I sighed placing the clothes back into the bag and getting up. Khalifa was in the living room by the time I got back.

"Where's Najma?" I asked.

"Went to the neighbours with Hajiya" he replied not taking his eyes off the football match. I sat on the arm chair, flinging my arm across my face.

"I'm sure you heard" I said out loud.

"What?" He asked.

"I got cut off" I mumbled.

"Yeah. It's all over, kind of pissed that you didn't tell us but it's your life, your decision" he explained. I sat up, resting my arms on my knees before letting out a groan.

"Cheer up. I'm sure Hajiya will talk to him. When do you plan on telling her?" I let out a chuckle at that.

"She knows. He informed her of his decision and she supported him. I am fucked" I whispered staring down at my fingers.

"Yup, utterly fucked" he agreed making me shoot a glare his way. I didn't exactly need pity but a word of encouragement would have been welcomed.

"Chin up dude, at least you have a roof on your head, food on your table. People are out there suffering, take Yasmin for example. Only God knows how long she was on the streets before you took her in."

And you can't even take care of her properly. Hell have you even gotten her something with your own money? Typical you. Getting other people to take care of your responsibilities

I shut the voice down immediately and concentrated on the game but at the back of my mind, the thought lingered.

I had never gotten her anything.

                      --------------------

Najma and Abba made up!!!

Please Vote

Comment

Share

Stay safe ❤