Chapter 6

The buzzing of my phone pulled me from sleep. I stirred reaching for the phone about to switch it to Airplane mode when I realised it was the Prayer App.

I got out of bed padding over to the toilet. I performed the ablution, I could hear the faint call to prayer but stood there looking at my reflection in the mirror.

My mind miles away, I didn't understand why I was so protective of her. I was so keen on getting her far away from me but when the opportunity came I didn't.

You couldn't possibly let her stay in that filth infested place with Count Olaf's wife to take care of them.

But there are other orphanages out the...

No. I wasn't going to think about this. Not now. I made my  way out of the toilet and performed my prayers. After prayers, I ent back to bed immediately, trying to mentally prepare myself for my imminent death with Hajiya.

You've had quite a good life Abba, too bad Hajiya is going to kill you in a few hours.

        *******************************

I uttered a small prayer of protection as the electric gates opened. This was it. There was no going back. We were currently at Hajiya's residence.

Khalifa parked the car and we got out. Yasmin was in my arms, she looked around before laying her head on my chest.

Najma rang the bell and a maid opened the door.

"Welcome" she greeted standing aside for us to walk in. We sat down in the living room, I looked around thinking to the last time I was here.

"Dude, your leg has been jumping since you sat down. Are you that nervous?" Khalifa asked amused.

"We're talking about Hajiya here, that woman could inflict grevious bodily harm on me and no one would do anything about it." I retorted.

My body froze when I heard her voice asking one of her maids for something.

Please let her be in a good mood. Please let her be in a good mood.

I chanted over and over in my head as she appeared.

Hajiya was a slim stately dark skinned woman who did not look over 50. Most people get deceived by her small stature. But Hajiya Jiddah Barde, the matriarch of the Barde Clan was a force and not one you would want to anger.

Her eyes settled on Najma who stood up to hug her.

"Good Afternoon Hajiya" she greeted. "Good Afternoon Najma, it's so good to see you." She said patting her cheek affectionately.

"Hajiya" Khalifa greeted standing up. "Ah'an our pilot!!!" She exclaimed hugging him. "I have a jar of your favourite tuwon Madara" she smiled. I settled Yasmin on the couch before standing up.

"Good Afternoon Hajiya" I greeted, there was a long awkward silence as she regarded me with a look.

"The prodigal grandson has returned." She stated. "What are you doing here?"

I tried to talk but I had nothing to say. "I'm sorry"

She harrumphed sitting down. "I've been hearing of your exploits around town. I called you several times but you never answered. So I decided to let you live your life how ever you wanted. Duniyar ya Isa kowa riga da wando."

I couldn't take it anymore, I felt like an errant school boy caught with his hands inside a cookie jar, only her could make me feel so helpless. I walked over to where she was seated and knelt on the floor.