Bonus Chapter

5 months later

"It was a pleasure doing business with you, I hope to see you at the Annual General Meeting in Lagos tomorrow" Mr Kaito's voice filled my office.

"The pleasure is all mine and yes I will be in Lagos tomorrow." I replied before ending the conference call just as the door opened.

"I have the itinerary for your meeting" My assistant, Teni said handing me the file. I nodded flipping through it. "I also got a call from the airline company, they have the jet ready and are waiting your arrival."

"Thank you Teni, that'll be all" I said dismissing him. I gathered the file, grabbed my jacket and my phone. I glanced at the clock.

10pm

I exited the office and made my way to the elevator.

"Abubakar" Baba Mohammad's voice stopped me in my tracks. I turned to him as he walked towards me.

After the handing over, I asked him to stick around for a year till I fully got the hang of things. We weren't chummy but I respected him.

"This came in for you" he said pulling out a brown envelope. I regarded the envelope with a frown before collecting it.

"Teni gave you the itinerary?" He asked. "Yes" I nodded. "Well, good luck with the meeting"

"Thank you" I replied smiling, pressing the button on the elevator. The doors slid open and I got in. The ride down to the ground floor was a smooth one and I got out. The ground floor was virtually empty except for the security men situated at certain areas.

"Have a safe trip sir" the security near the door said. I nodded as I walked past him. Teni was waiting for me by the car, a garment bag with the brand BRIONI printed on it.

"A gift from Mr Mohammad." He explained. I nodded making a mental note to thank him. We got into the car and the driver drove off. I brought out my phone and scrolled through my messages. They weren't much, intact they were just three. One from Najma, another from Khalifa and the last from Amaka.

Tapping on Najma's message.

Hey, remember the greek yogurt you got me last week? Where did you buy it?

I chuckled at the message, with Khalifa out of town, I practically became the person who hunted for her food cravings. Thankfully the only weird thing she has asked till date was tandoori chicken from Cilantro around 3.am.

I got them at Wuse 2, a place called Frosty Greek Yogurt. They do delivery, you can look them up on IG.

I answered Khalifa's message and Amaka's too before dialling Hajiya's number. She answered on the third ring.

"Salaam Alaykum Hajiya" I greeted.

"Wa Alaykum Salaam, Abba. How are you?" She asked.

"I'm fine Alhamdulillah. How are you? I came earlier today and I was told you were asleep."

"Yes, I was informed. Mohammad told me you are on your way to the airport." She said.

"Yes, I was meant to leave in the afternoon but some unexpected meetings came up so I had to push it." I explained.

"Okay. Well, good luck on your meeting." She replied. We said our goodbyes and I cut the call. A few minutes later we arrived at the airport. Due to the fact that we were flying private, we were allowed access to the tarmac, following an official car, we were led to the airplane.

It was a white and blue learjet, the air hostess was by the stairs. I let Teni and the driver get the two boxes in the trunk while I grabbed the suit bag and my suitcase.

"Welcome Mr. Abdullahi" she greeted as I approached her.

"Thank you" I replied and made my way into the jet. It was a normal 4 seater jet with two sofas at the back. I set the suitcase on the table and the suit bag on one of the sofas.

Teni joined me a few minutes later and soon we were taxing down the runway. We were in the air in less than 5 minutes. I glanced over at Teni about to tell him to write down a couple of things I wanted to add to the itinerary, when I noticed he was dozing off.

Deciding to pity the poor kid, I tapped his shoulder and he jolted up.

"Sir?" He squeaked adjusting his jacket.

"Get some rest." I said gesturing to the sofa at the back. He nodded and got onto his feet. I watched as he made his way to the sofa. I turned my attention to my suitcase, I wasn't planning on sleeping so I might as well go through some files.

My eyes immediately went to the brown envelope. I toyed with the edges wondering what was inside.

Get it over with

I opened the envelope and a picture slipped out. I picked up the picture frowning when I saw a family. My eyes widened when I realised who it was.

Yasmin!!!

Who were these people? Why were they holding her?

The questions swarmed around my head, I wasn't going to get any answer from the picture so I picked up the letter with my other hand.

Abubakar, I hope this letter reaches you well. How are you? How have you been? Congratulations on the handing over of your company. I know we agreed that it would be better for Yasmin if we cut off all contact so as not to confuse her, but I do remember the promise I made to you in the park a few months ago and today I have fulfilled that promise.

Yasmin got adopted by a wonderful family, they have been trying for a child for 5 years to no avail. I attached a picture they sent to me to this letter. He works in the Central Bank of Nigeria and she is self employed. From their first meeting with Yasmin, it was so easy to see the love they had for her. I also told them about you and they are grateful that you saved her that night, without you, they wouldn't have her.

May Allah continue to bless you. Best wishes, Mrs Balogun

I stared at the letter, before turning back to the picture. The man looked to be in his 30s, he had Yasmin in his arms, while the woman who looked to be in her late 20s had her hand on Yasmin's cheek, she was smiling at her. Yasmin was all smiles, she looked... no she was happy.

I closed my eyes, battling a wave of emotions. I had thought I would be prepared for when she got adopted, I was wrong.

I expected to feel anger, maybe sadness but I found myself devoid of those emotions. I was... I was happy. As long as she was happy and she was, then I was happy.

That was all that mattered.

A/N

I feel we all need closure on Yasmin's part so here we have it.

I hope you all enjoyed reading Saving Abba.