Chapter 27

"Why are you staring at your laptop like it holds all the answers to your problems?" Amaka asked.

I snapped out of it, looking at her.

"Sorry... just nervous" I replied.

"What's wrong?" She inquired walking into the cubicle.

"Nothing really. Did you need something?"

"Yeah, Mr. Adebayo wants these files looked at. Something about him not trusting the new staff" she explained rolling her eyes. I chuckled at that before collecting them from her.

I pushed the thoughts to the back of my head and concentrated on my work.

                  *********************

By 1pm, I drove to Yasmin's school to pick her up. Parking in the lot, I noticed a familiar looking car but I couldn't remember where I saw it.

Oh well

I walked into the school, heading to Yasmin's class. The door was ajar and Ms Anne was talking to a woman in a black suit, our eyes met and she smiled.

"Just on time" she said making the other woman turn around.

What. The. Fuck?

"Are you stalking me?" I sputtered glaring at her. Mrs Balogun frowned, glaring at me.

"I am just doing my job." she snapped. I ignored her and brushed past the both of them.

Yasmin was seated on the playing mat, building something with the Lego pieces, I squatted in front of her and smiled.

"Hello Mama na. Are you ready to go home?" I asked.

She looked up from the blocks and nodded. I helped her up, grabbing her bag and lunch box.

"See you tomorrow." I said to the teacher, ignoring Mrs Balogun, who hurriedly followed after me.

I buckled Yasmin into her car seat, tossing her bag and lunch box to the side before walking over to my side. I didn't bother glancing at Mrs Balogun, I started the car and drove off.

"How was school?" I asked glancing at her through the mirror. Yasmin smiled before launching into a story of everything that happened in school. I smiled at her enthusiasm, half listening to her talk while I concentrated on the ride home.

I parked the car in the compound and watched as Mrs Balogun parked hers near mine. Her hawk eyes on me, I rolled mine at her shaking my head and getting out. I unbuckled Yasmin and lifted her out of the car. She took off into the house and I followed with her bag and lunch box, holding the door open for Mrs Balogun to pass.

Old me would have slammed the door on her face... scratch that, old me would not be caught dead in this situation. I chuckled at the thought.

"Is something funny?" Her sharp voice asked piercing through my thoughts. I turned my attention to see her glaring at me.

I shook my head and closed the door behind me, making my way to the kitchen to drop her lunch box.

"Yasmin." I called walking back to the foyer. She came running, her socks and shoes off.

"Na'amm" she answered smiling up at me, Atine came running after her out of breath.

"Here you go." I said handing her the bag. "I'm going back to work. I'll see you later."

She frowned before nodding, giving my legs a hug before running off, Atine chasing after her. I turned to Mrs Balogun to see her frowning, a look in her eyes that I couldn't quite place. Shrugging it off, I adjusted my shirt.