Chapter 23

It was Wednesday and I was all shades of nerves. Yasmin was starting school today, a part of me was excited while the other part of me was terrified at the prospect.

What if she hates it there?

What if the children are mean to her?

I groaned pushing the thoughts to the back of my mind. I got ready and all but rushed to the main house.

"Who is after you?" Hajiya asked alarmed as I stormed into the dining room, my eyes landing on Yasmin's seat.

"Sorry, good morning Hajiya." I greeted taking a seat.

"Good morning, don't worry Abba, Atine is getting her ready. She'll be here soon" she replied smiling.

"Am I that obvious?" I asked sheepishly. She laughed nodding.

"But how do you do it Hajiya? I have a thousand and one scenarios of how her first day is going to be, this sucks." I groaned.

"Well, you have to understand that children are stronger than we think. I'm sure she'll make friends in no time." She assured.

But what if she doesn't?

What if they gang up against her?

What if she hates the school food?

I should ask Atine to put a Coco Pops cereal milk bar in her lunch box

"Stop overthinking it Abubakar." Hajiya's voice pierced through my thoughts.

I shot her a nervous smile and concentrated on my breakfast. The sound of giggling made me turn back.

Oh my God

Yasmin stood there in her grey pinafore and white undershirt uniform, white socks and shiny black flats.

"Yasmin!!! You look beautiful!!!" Hajiya gushed  walking over to her while I stood there in shock. Everything seemed so real all of a sudden.

I knelt down as she approached me almost shy.  I brushed back a stray curl that had escaped the hair gel before pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"My pretty girl" I whispered making her break into a smile.

Turns out she had her breakfast earlier, so I gulped down my coffee, grabbed a toast for the road and collected Yasmin's school bag. Atine brought her lunch box, Hajiya accompanied us to my car and I buckled Yasmin in. Placing her bag and box in the backseat.

"Goodluck Yasmin" Hajiya called out waving at her as I drove out of the compound. The drive to the school was silent and short. Parking in the lot, I got out and helped Yasmin out.

"Put your hand through, good girl!! Now the other hand." I instructed helping her with her school bag. I held her hand and grabbed the lunch box with the other.

The school was filled with cars and kids being led to their classes by teachers. We walked to the Administrative building, Ada was waiting for us outside.

"Good morning Mr Abubakar, hello Yasmin. Are you ready to go to your new class?" She asked.

"Yes" she replied smiling. Ada led us down a path lined with rose garden. The walk path was cobbled with tiny shoes painted on them, it reminded me of Dorothy and The Wizard of Oz.

The walk path opened up to a fountain, looking around, I noticed the classes were individual hut like buildings with large windows with the fountain in the middle.

Ada let us to one of the building, opening the door and leading us in. The class had ten seats and desks. A teacher's table was by the side while an assistant teacher's table was at the back. There was a rack where the kids kept their school bags, alll in all, the place looked really amazing.