Chapter 29

2 weeks later

I was seated in my office, going through the excel spread before me, humming to the tone of Into the Unknown from Frozen 2 which was Yasmin's new obsession. The last week had gone by quite uneventful. Yasmin went to school, I picked her up with Mrs Balogun on my tail not that I minded anymore. She seemed to have mellowed down which was an enormous relief. However the looming court case still send shivers down my spine, twisting my stomach in knots.

We were all being as hopeful as possible, we had enough money and we all loved Yasmin. I honestly couldn't wait to introduce her to the rest of the family, at the Barde annual picnic, especially to Suls and Farida. I was sure they were all going to love her the way Hajiya, Najma, Khalifa and I did.

Speaking of Najma, I reached over to my phone. I wondered if she actually got to tell Khalifa, it had been 2 weeks since our talk, scrolling through my contact list, I tapped on her number about to call.

"Heyyy"

I looked up to see Najma standing by the door of my cubicle.

"Think about the angel and she appears" I replied smiling at her. She laughed and walked in, setting her bag on the filing cabinet.

"You were thinking about me?" She asked.

"Yeah, I was about to call you." I explained gesturing to her contact profile on my phone screen.  "How are you?" I asked.

"Fine fine. How are you?" She asked twiddling her thumbs, biting her lip, I stared at her.

She was either hiding something or she was excited.

"Najma?"

She looked up at me.

"Spill." I ordered. She smiled sheepishly before hoping on to the table.

"I told him" she said, a big grin on her face.

"Yeah? How did it go?" I asked excitedly.

"Wanna watch?" She inquired producing her phone from her bag and waving it infront of me.

I laughed nodding, she unlocked the phone and handed it over to me. I played the video.

Najma was fiddling with the phone, behind her were balloons. I could see Congratulations Daddy written on one. They were tied to a what looked like a baby's boot.

She finally got the phone to stand before flashing the camera a smile and moving away just as footsteps were heard.

Quickly taking a seat on the couch, she glanced at the phone before looking away.

"Babe, where are you?" Khalifa's voice could be heard.

"Living room" she called. More footsteps were heard and then he appeared on camera.

"What..." he trailed off staring at the balloons. He walked closer and stared more at the balloons. I couldn't help but laugh at this point. He turned his attention to the little boot, picking it up with both hands as if it were a billion  dollar egg.

"Are you... are we?" He stuttered. She nodded standing up. He walked over to her and engulfed her in a hug.

"I love you so much" he cried out pulling back to press a kiss on her forehead.

"You're really pregnant?" He asked again cupping her face. She nodded laughing.

Her lips moved but I had no idea what she said. He laughed and she reached up to wipe what I guessed were tears from his cheeks.

I paused the video

"He cried?"

"Yup" she nodded.