Chapter 9

A few days went by with me going to the office and doing nothing and today was no different. I scrolled through my Instagram feed, periodically checking my snapchat when I heard a groan.

"I am so getting fired" I rolled my eyes at her theatrics.

If you knew you couldn't do the job in the first place why apply for the job.

Another groan had me glaring in her direction, I furrowed my brow when I heard a sniffle.

Seriously? Now this was just pathetic

After 10 seconds of hearing her sob and sniffle, I got out of my seat and approached her cubicle. She was hunched over her desk, her face buried in her hands.

I cleared my throat and she bolted up before sighing.

"It's just you." She groaned pushing her hair away from her face. "I'm so going to get fired"

I rolled my eyes at her self pity and walked over to her computer.

"What are you doing?" She snapped

"Helping your ass" I murmured opening the spreadsheet.

"Stop!!!" She squawked trying to bat my hands away from the keyboard. "You don't even come to work, how would you know how the system works?"

"I'm trying to help you or would you prefer the old man up there to toss you onto the streets once he comes down to do his rounds.?"

She groaned folding her arms.

"Go ahead"

I smirked turning my attention to the spreadsheet. I furrowed my brow trying to remember the formula.

"Well, get on with it!!!" She whined impatiently.

Maybe if you shut your mouth I would be able to remember the shitty formula

"Let me ju..."

I shot her a glare and she piped down.

I ran through the equations in my mind

Bingo!!!

My fingers flew across the keyboard as years and years of Accounting knowledge came back to my head.

"So you just type in the input of each client and the software already has the percentage of insurance they pay, they should really mesh in the formula to make this easier" I explained still looking at the computer screen.

Her silence made me turn to her, eyes wide, jaw dropped. I frowned snapping my fingers trying to get her attention.

She snapped out of whatever trance she was in. "H...how did you? I... we all thought you were stupid" she stuttered, I rolled my eyes at her.

"Just because I choose not to work doesn't mean I'm stupid and I think what you're looking for is thank you."

She lowered her head looking contrite which she damned well should be.

I left her cubicle and returned to mine, still infuriated at her words.

Me? Stupid?

Well you haven't actually done anything to prove them wrong. The voice in my head murmured.

I shut the voice down looking for anything to keep myself busy, I brought out my phone and hissed when I saw the network as messing up.

Stupid network providers

My eyes landed on the huge pile of files in front of me and I glanced at the time. I still had hours to go before work ended and going to Stacey's place was not an option.