Chapter 24

"How was her first day?" Amaka asked, stopping by my office. I looked up from my work and smiled.

"Awesome. She was so happy and she made friends too!!!" I gushed. "She was so excited to go to school today too."

"That's great." She replied happily. "So no more worry wart Abubakar?" She teased laughing. I couldn't help but chuckle along with her. I had been very dramatic the yesterday.

"Anyway, I'll see you later." She said walking away.

                  *******************

Hajiya's driver picked Yasmin up from school because I was running late. By the time I came back home, it was evening and I was exhausted. Taking a quick shower to rejuvenate myself, I headed to the main house.

Hajiya and Yasmin were seated on the dining table, huddled over a book.

"Salaam Alaykum" I greeted.

"Wa Alaykum Salaam" Hajiya replied smiling at me as I walked towards them.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Homework" Yasmin piped up grinning at me before going back to the book. Leaning over, I noticed it was Numeracy.

"Why don't I take over Hajiya?" I offered.

"Thank you Abba but I need you to take a package to Najma" she explained gesturing to the brown paper bag on the table.

I nodded grabbing it.

"Okay. Anything else?" I asked.

"No. That's just it." She replied. I walked back to the chalet and grabbed my car keys.

The drive to her house was short, I parked near Khalifa's car and got out, ringing the bell.

Najma opened the door smiling immediately.

"Hey Abba, come in, how are you?" She asked walking into the house. I closed the door behind me and followed her.

"Fine, Alhamdulillah. How are you?" I asked.

"Good good. You're just in time, we're about to have dinner." She said heading to the kitchen.

"Khalifa can you get us one more plate please. Abba's here."

"Sure thing." He replied coming out with an extra plate.

"What's up? Where is Yasmin?" He asked setting the plate on the dining table.

"At home with Hajiya doing homework" I answered. "That reminds me, Hajiya said to give you this." I handed the bag to Najma who peered inside before bringing out a jar of tuwon madara.

"God bless Hajiya" Khalifa praised eyeing the jar. I rolled my eyes at him as Najma kept the jar away from him.

"I can't believe you're still obsessed with this" I laughed shaking my head.

"Tuwon Madara is a delicacy and you're just not elite enough to appreciate it." He retorted. I chuckled and continued eating. After dinner, I helped Najma to clear the table and carry the plates to the kitchen, leaning against the cabinet, I watched her wash the dishes.

Tell her.

"Um... Najma, I... I have something to tell you." I started.

"What's up?"

"Well, I've been thinking and I've come to the decision that I want to adopt Yasmin."

Her hands stopped the washing as the spoon clattered into the sink.