Chapter 21

Parking in the school lot, I got out and made my way to the other side, unbuckling Yasmin and helping her out.

Her hand in mine, we walked to the administrative block where Ada was waiting for us.

"Welcome back Mr Abubakar and this must be Yasmin." She said squatting, offering her a hand.

"My name is Ada. It's nice to meet you."

Yasmin hid behind my legs, her tiny fingers digging into my office slacks.

"Come on Yasmin. Say hello to her" I whispered softly squatting to her level.

She looked over at Ada before shaking her hand. "Hello." She whispered, a shy smile on her face.

Ada smiled back at her before standing.

"Let's get this show on the road then." She cheered, holding out her hand to Yasmin who took it. I walked behind them as she showed her around. Yasmin's shyness disappearing every second of the tour.

By the time we were done, her grin stretched from ear to ear.

"Would you like her to take the test now or would you like to come back another day?" She asked.

"What does the test entail?" I inquired.

"Nothing much really, just a few tests on her communication skills, learning skills and such. It will help us determine what class to put her in." She explained.

"Does she need to prepare for it?"

"She doesn't. The test usually takes about 10 to 20 minutes and then we will call you to inform you on the outcome."

I nodded, deciding it was better for her to take it now.

"Hey Yasmin, you have to go with Ada. I'll be waiting here." I said. Yasmin turned to Ada frowning before looking back at me and nodding.

I watched as Ada guided her to an office, I sat on a chair at the waiting area, my foot tapping against the tiled floor.

Calm down Abba, she's going to do well. Yasmin is a smart girl.

I brought out my phone, scrolling through my timeline to while away time.

               *******************

Yasmin's laughter made me look up from my phone as she skipped out of the office, Ada walking behind her.

"How was it?" I asked Yasmin the moment the reached me.

"Good!!!" She cheered jumping up and down.

"She did really good. We'll have the results ready and communicate to you on Monday." Ada said.

I nodded thanking her before Yasmin and I left to my car.

Knowing I wasn't going to get any off days anytime soon and most of the kids stores don't open on the weekends, I drove down to Jabi Mall.

The boutique was situated on the ground floor. I pushed the door open and let Yasmin skip through. The shop was a kid wonderland filled with school related things.

Yasmin bounced excited as she looked from side to side, letting a gasp when she spied the toy section, her feet automatically moving to them.

"Let's start with the school bags" I said steering her towards them. She frowned looking through the selection before pointing at one.

Ofcourse.

"A Princess Sofia bag" I laughed grabbing the purple one, we moved to the water bottle section and she chose a pink one. By the time we were done, it was late afternoon and my hands were full. We stopped at the food court, ordering a hot dog and a coke for me while I got her meat pie and a chocolate milkshake. We sat on one of the table while looking at the view of the lake.