Chapter 19

I was finally discharged on the next day, Khalifa picked me up at the hospital and drove me down to Hajiya's residence.

"Najma got some people to pack your belongings up. Everything is already set up in the Chalet." He explained.

"Okay." I replied wanting nothing more than to get home and take a shower. We arrived and parted ways. I headed towards the chalet, everything had been set up. My clothes had been unpacked and arranged.

I took a shower, relishing the feeling of the warm water pelting my skin. I got dressed, left the chalet, about to head to the main house when I bumped into Atine.

"Hello Atine." I greeted.

"Hello Yaya Abba. It's nice to see you again. How are you feeling?" She asked smiling.

She's not mad at me anymore

"Fine Alhamdulillah." I replied smiling back at her before continuing on my way.

"They are by the garden" she called out. I smiled at her and took the shortcut to the garden.

Hajiya was seated on the cushioned rattan chair while Najma was seated on the grass with Yasmin, a book next to them.

"Good afternoon Hajiya"

"Good afternoon Abba, how are you feeling?" She asked.

"Much better Alhamdulillah." I answered taking a seat next to her.

Yasmin looked up at me, I grinned at her and she grinned back before Najma drew her attention back to the book. Khalifa came out of the house a few minutes later.

"Here you go." He said handing me my phone. The screen had been replaced.

"Thanks" I took the phone, shoving it in my pocket not bothering to switch it on. I sighed leaning further into the chair and watched Yasmin read with the aid of Najma.

               **********************

After Maghrib prayers, we all sat for dinner. I helped Yasmin cut her food into little pieces before getting started with mine.

"Yasmin's reading is really improving" Najma pointed out. "It's really amazing, she'll be able to catch up with her peers when she starts school."

Shit... I didn't even think of that.

Dinner was a silent affair for me as I listened to them discuss on several issues. Khalifa and I went to the masjid and prayed Isha before they left. Yasmin was already in bed by then.

"Goodnight Yasmin" I whispered squatting in front of her. She mumbled a reply, her eyes drooping until she finally fell asleep. I walked to the Chalet and got dressed for bed. Switching on my phone, Najma's words came back to my mind and I tapped on Google Maps.

Schools near me.

The list came up and I nearly had a heart attack at the schools mentioned. There was no way in hell I could afford any of these schools. Not on my salary.

Oh Lord.

I decided to filter the search and gave up immediately. The thought of sending her to a low quality school send chills down my back. There was no way I was going to let that happen.

Maybe I could ask Hajiya to help... no, Yasmin is my responsibility.

I tossed the phone to the side and decided to get some sleep.