38.

-HER-

"What are you staring at?" Asked the head priestess when she caught me staring in distance, particularly at the woods. I snapped out of my daze before I mumbled, "Nothing,"

"Did you pick the flowers?" She demanded. I nodded before I presented her the basket with the flowers that she had asked me to pick.

She looked satisfied with the work I did but I knew that she was going to give me more work. They always kept me busy here.

"Cut the fruits then," She instructed before she walked away with the flowers. I was happy to get something to work with, a temporary distraction before my eyes would drift to the woods.

The fact that the temple was near the woods didn't help. I'd glance at it several times and would be lost staring at it as if I was waiting for someone... waiting for him.

A chill instantly ran down my spine when I remembered his red eyes. It still haunted me and kept me awake at night. Even if it had been almost six months ever since that happened, to me, it felt as if it were yesterday when I was trapped between those flames.

I'd always get nightmares about it. His words always rang in my ears, shaking me from inside each time but I was learning to cope with it.

It had been months but he hadn't shown up. I wasn't complaining but I was tired of waking up and going to sleep at night knowing that he was out there... looking for me.

In this case, I knew that staying in one place could be dangerous but I had grown comfortable here. Life was somewhat easier here, more bearable and humane. I wasn't caught up in any rivalry, neither did anyone knew who I was.

No streams of blood decorated the floor here and neither was I constantly worried about hiding dead bodies. Everything was so pure in this small village. I'd hate to change anything about it.

My red hair wasn't that big of an issue because that old woman had easily convinced everyone that I was harmless. I couldn't find the audacity to prove her wrong after all the things she had done for me.

She wasn't necessarily a priestess but she helped the priestesses in the temples around the small village. She worked more in Artemis' temple which was in the north and sometimes visited me here- in Aphrodite's temple.

I lived in the temple along with other priestesses. They provided me with almost everything, starting from second-hand clothes to fruits that had been used for prayers. It wasn't much but I was starting to like living like this.

It was as if I had been provided with a chance to start over and this time, I was trying my best to not go back to my old ways. So far, I was successful in living here without raising an eyebrow or doing anything against the law. I had plans to continue this in future as well.

"It's going to rain tonight. The winter's early this year," I heard some of the priestesses discuss as I carried the plates containing all the cut fruits to the place where prayers happened.

"It's going to be colder this year," Another priestess muttered back.

"Arsinoe," A familiar voice had me glancing towards the woods again. It was the old woman, Theto. She had a huge grin on her face as she approached me. I smiled back at her before asking, "What are you doing here, Theto?"

"I feel like staying here tonight," She told me and I nodded without giving her words much thought. Work and Theto's chatter kept me busy and occupied until it was dusk.

As part of my duties, I had to light up all the candles in the temples every evening. Even though I was immune to fire, I was still traumatized by the event. It was the reason behind my distaste for this specific activity but I contained myself from showing it. I didn't want anyone asking me questions about it.

After making sure that every candle was lit, I went straight to the kitchen. As usual, the head priestess had left me some fruits that I liked to eat. With that, I retired to the small room that I had been provided with at the back of the temple.

It didn't have any bed. I slept on the floor and kept my belongings in a small basket. I didn't bother lighting any candle in my room. I preferred the darkness more.

It had been only a few moments since I had been in my room and had only finished half the fruits when a feeling of dread washed over me. Instantly, I sensed some commotion outside my room.

I one of the young priestesses scurry away to fetch the head priestess. The look that hung on her face said that something was wrong.

"What is it?" I asked her but she ignored me and instead, called out for the head priestess.

"What's the matter?" Asked the head priestess after she had stepped out of her small room upon being called.

"There's someone outside, please... Theto is outside already," The young priestess spoke breathily. Fear was clearly audible in her voice. She fiddled with her fingers anxiously and shuffled on her feet. Meanwhile, terror decorated her face. Her breaths were short and her forehead sweaty.

"Who is it?" The head priestess questioned which was instantly answered by a loud growl outside the temple. The fact that I recognized the growl had me turning white. Both the priestesses ran towards the entrance while I remained frozen on my place.

I resembled a statue while other priestesses ran outside the temple to see what the matter was. I didn't need to do that because I knew what was happening.

My heart raced in my chest while panic slowly rose inside me. Without my whim, my feet took me to the temple's entrance.

"Who are you and what do you want from us?" I heard the head priestess demand loudly. She sounded confident but I didn't miss the undertone of uncertainty and fear in her voice.

"I am here for my wife. I believe she is here," Ares' familiar voice answered. My stomach dipped at his words while the tone with which he spoke had me shaking.

'Go where you want to go but know this that I'll come looking for you,'

His words rang in my ears. He wasn't lying. He was finally here for me as he had said. I knew I couldn't run away any more.

"I think you are mistaken-"

"Arsinoe. Her name is Arsinoe. She has red hair and green eyes. I know she is here," His adamant words silenced the head priestess while others gasped. If anything, his words had pushed me further into the state of shock.

"Gentleman, please give us your name. We cannot-" Theto tried this time but Ares' growl interrupted her, "I am not going anywhere without my wife. Tell her to come with me otherwise, everyone will face the consequences,"

...

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the next 5 chapters on Inkitt for FREE! Binge read up to chapter 59 on Patreon. The links are in my bio.

Also available on Patreon: Caught, The Trident's Legacy

The next update is on Thursday. Thanks for reading and stay safe!