19.

-HIM-

I was back in my wing, pacing. It was midnight and I couldn't sleep. I was still finding it hard to come in terms with what had happened.

How could I mate with that boy? I was anticipating a she-wolf or even someone with a feminine nature to compliment my masculine traits. Someone who could bear the next heir of this kingdom. That boy is capable of none.

Though I couldn't deny the pull I felt towards him. It was very strong – too strong. It took me a great amount of self-control to not claim him in front of everyone.

I could deny him of being my mate but I cannot deny the mating pull and the attraction. I had thought of rejecting him multiple times but I admit that I couldn't bring myself to reject him.

That mating bond. It was messing up with my decision-making abilities. I couldn't think straight.

Even if I kept him, how was I going to convince the court people and the subjects to accept him after what he had done? No one would ever accept him. Heck, I was having a hard time accepting him as my mate.

I was in a grave dilemma.

Was I being tested like this? Was Inanna punishing me this way for pressing her to give me a mate? I couldn't know.

The worst part was that I couldn't talk to anyone about him. I wanted to talk to Augustus but he was away for some diplomatic issues.

A knock on my office door claimed my attention. "Come in," I grumbled.

Celeste poked her head inside my office. Her eyes were wide and the look of bewilderment decorated her face. It didn't take me long to realize that she was here for my mate.

"You have to see something," She breathed. I was soon on my feet, following Celeste's tall frame as she led me to the prison. He had been put in a separate prison, which was hard to escape from.

Celeste had been guarding it and I had entrusted her with the responsibility to report about my mate. I hadn't told her about him being my mate but I knew that Celeste had seen enough to ask me questions later.

She hurried as we got closer to the prison. It was underground. My heart thundered in my chest as we climbed into the darkness. I used my powers to lit the torches before the narrow hallway was drenched with light.

On either side of the corridors were bars. These were the prisons. All of them were empty, except the one at the very end.

As we stepped closer to the last prison, I noticed something red covering the floor towards the end. It looked like blood but as we got closer, I realized that it was hair.

Very long red hair. The hair was silky and was of the color of blood. My hands ached to touch it and find out if they were as soft and silky as they look but Celeste's presence beside me had me pushing these thoughts in the back of my head.

Celeste unlocked the door when we finally reached the prison where my mate was kept. I could see him through the bars.

He laid unconscious in the corner but he looked... different. It was me who had carried him and put him here. The way he was lying, it made me hard to tell what was different about him.

Though, I noticed that all the hair that surrounded our feet seemed to sprout from underneath the hood that covered his head. With a deep breath, I stepped inside the prison.

Celeste chose to stand at the prison door. I was aware of her eyes on me. I had to be more cautious as I approached his curled-up body in the corner. His back was facing me.

I heard very faint heartbeats that belonged to him. I slowly crouched down, making sure to be in a defensive stance in case he has something in store for me.

I slightly shook his body but he did not respond. I saw his chest fall and rise slowly. There was something odd about it. His heartbeats were paced. He was still unconscious.

On the other hand, I couldn't help looking at the red hair. It looked very beautiful up this close. I had never seen anything like it. I had to contain myself from touching it in front of Celeste.

Holding my breath, I turned his body around to face me.

The word 'mine' almost slipped past my lips when I saw her face. I was sure that it was her due to her visible bosom. Her pale skin tempted me to bite through it and claim her as mine. Her intoxicating scent was already playing with my senses, teasing me.

The more I looked at her, the more I wanted her. I wanted to sweep her in my arms and make her mine. I had never wanted anything so badly.

The mating pull was stronger now, making it harder for me to think. I didn't know how long I had been staring at her.

"It's a woman," Celeste pulled me out of my thoughts. I sighed deeply, finding it hard to tear my eyes away from her. To say that she was beautiful would be an understatement.

Her face was beautifully carved. Thick eyelashes rested gently against her high cheekbones while her plum, red inviting lips were lightly parted open, inviting me to taste them.

She was too beautiful to be a mortal.

"She is," my mate. I breathed, whishing her to wake up soon. I wanted to know who she was.

...

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read chapters 20, 21 &22 on Inkitt for free. Binge read up to chapter 31 on Patreon! The link is in the bio.

Also available on Patreon: Caught, The Trident's Legacy

The next update is on Tuesday. Thanks for reading and have an amazing weekend :D

-Benita