23.

*Song above: Hooverphonic - Renaissance Affair

-HER-

I have never been so proud of my nasty reputation. People were scared of me without really knowing who I was.

The witch looked closely at me. Her warm brown eyes were trying to peek into my soul. I welcomed her, allowing her to get lost into the darkness that I held inside me.

A subtle yet noteworthy gasp climbed out of her lips before she staggered back. Her eyes grew wider as another wave of terror washed over her face. I knew what she had felt and seen. It was too much for her.

The people around us were silent, watching us warily. A smile crept on my lips. I hadn't thought that I would enjoy this but I was also aware that I was enjoying this more than I should.

"No..." The witch muttered, "This is not Psaltisi," Her steps and voice trembled. The tall she-wolf shuffled on her feet beside me.

"What happened, Kiara?" Another witch approached her. The way she was dressed, I guessed her to be someone of high status.

"I have felt terrible things in this mortal's psyche," She said before turning to the royal couple, "She looks like the infamous enchantress Psaltisis,"

"Are you sure?" The Queen asked.

"Your majesty, I had the misfortune of meeting the enchantress. I vividly remember everything about her and this mortal... she closely resembles her," The witch named Kiara answered. I didn't miss how she looked at me from over her shoulder.

She was scared of me. It made me happy.

"Who is she? What did you see in her?" The queen asked.

"Terrible things, your majesty... I wonder if she is really a mortal," Her words raised the intensity of everyone's eyes on me.

"Who are you and who sent you?" The powerful voice of the King bounced off the walls as he raised and asked me. His eyes were set on me grimly. Rage decorated his face.

I had heard a lot about him to not be aware of the things he was capable of. This also reminded me that I was caught and death was just around the corner but oddly, I wasn't scared.

I looked him in the eyes. I knew what it meant to them. I was challenging him. The blank look on my face made him clench his jaw and growl. He looked fairly calm but I bet everyone could feel the power of his emotions – rage.

The queen put a hand on his arm as if to calm him. With her eyes on me, she raised from her seat.

"While my first encounter, this mortal was a young man. Now, this mortal sits in front of us dressed in the skin of a maiden," She spoke gently but her voice was still strong. It had the power to make anyone listen. Cleopatra shared the same trait but to some extent, she used seduction too.

"Could it be that she is some kind of shifter?" The witch named Kiara shook her head at this question before the queen continued, "She walked on our land on Calantha, could it be that Cynthia was trying to tell us about this imposter?"

I sat with a blank and confused look on my face but I understood every word they said. So, they had predicted my arrival? Interesting...

"Where is Cynthia?" The queen asked as she looked at the people present in the room.

"Cynthia has left Zaeris to meet some witches," Kiara answered. She did not look at me again. Her back faced me all the while. She was absolutely terrified of me.

"What shall be done with this imposter?" The tall she-wolf asked, "Shall we execute her for the horrendous crime she had attempted to commit?"

"No," A new voice spoke. Everyone's attention was claimed by the prince as he raised from his seat for the first time. He had been silent and watching the whole scene unfold all this time.

As his silver eyes found me, I shivered. The intensity in his eyes was heating up my body. I did not like the way it made me feel - weak.

"Why?" The King growled. I was aware of his murderous glare on me too. "Why shouldn't we execute this imposter who tried to kill your mother?" The King demanded the prince. The latter's eyes never left me.

I had to look away. I concentrated on Kiara's back instead.

"If we execute her, we'd lose the opportunity to find out who is behind this. We should think past this mortal. There must be someone behind her... someone who sent her to do this. She may be putting someone else's thoughts into action. She may be following orders? The only way we could find out is through her," He pointed his finger at me as he finished speaking.

Everyone's eyes were back on me.

"Who knows? Maybe we could come to know of an enemy who was left unacknowledged all this time?" The Prince added. I had to contain myself from reacting to his words.

They took me by surprise. I never expected that someone would actually consider it. For a moment, I was grateful for him as his words could grant me a few more days of life but the quality of those days was going to be questionable.

"I agree with Ares," The Queen spoke, "We should first find out who sent her before doing anything to her. Until then, she will be kept in prison and only Celeste would attend to her,"

"Your Majesty," The tall she-wolf beside me bowed her head.

I don't mind her as a companion.

...

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read Chapters 24, 25, 26 & 27 on Inkitt for FREE! It's an ad-free website with amazing stories. All you need to do is just download the app and log in. The link is in my bio.

If you're eager to read up to Chapter 38 then go to my Patreon page. The link is in my bio.

The next update will be on Tuesday. Thanks for reading and please stay safe!

-Benita