31.

-HIM-

My thundering growl shook the walls before I sliced the shooter in half from between. Father reached us at this moment before he rushed to mother's side instantly.

I fought more men as they came. I didn't dare to look at my mate. My wolf was now suddenly active. He wanted to be let out and go to our mate but I was too afraid to look at her.

I was slowly starting to lose control over my wolf. Pain surged through my chest as I struggled to focus. When I was done taking down the last man, I finally turned to face her.

Her extremely long red hair was scattered all around the room. It appeared more like the blood that pooled around her lifeless body. Her eyes were closed and her lips were parted. Nothing about her seemed alive.

I dropped to my knees before I let out a painful scream that made the ground beneath me shiver. The pain intensified in my chest as it slowly traveled to my throat before it was getting too hard for me to breathe.

I clutched her hair in my hands as I let out another scream, wishing that it would drive the pain away. I had never felt so terrible in my life. Blood crawled out of eyes before slipping down my cheeks.

"Ares!" Someone called for me but I was blinded by blood to notice who it was. The surroundings grew colder before a tall, dark figure rose from all the blood in the room. It had a scythe in its hand. It didn't take me long to realize who it was and for whom he was here.

I didn't waste a moment to pick her lifeless body before I growled at the grim reaper, "Go away," The rage and determination in my voice didn't have any effect on him. This made me clutch her harder.

"She comes with me," His cold, chilling voice dropped the temperature of the room even lower.

"She stays with me," I growled at him, this time louder. Her head and hand were dangling lifelessly as I picked her up. I wouldn't let him take her away from me.

"No one can defy death," The grim reaper commented as he stepped towards me.

"Ares," It was father, "give her away," He was being cut by my growl. His words reminded me that this was the ultimate fate of my mate. She had chosen it for herself the moment she had tried to kill my mother.

"Ares, no!" It was my mother, "She is your mate!"

"She is of no good use for my Kingdom and my son!" My father growled.

"The King is right," The grim reaper tried to persuade me but mother stepped in, "She stays with my son,"

"She tried to kill you, Nefret!" My father growled.

"She took the arrow for me!" My mother argued with the same determination.

"Ares, it's up to you..." My father turned to me instead, "Which one would you choose? Your people or this filthy mortal?" his words brought the weight of the situation over my shoulders.

I looked at her lifeless face.

Was she worth it?

She came at the price of my people, who had faith in me to guide them in the future. I'd betray them and break their trust if I chose her.

On the other hand, this mortal, I didn't even know who she was or the name she had been given at birth. I didn't know where she was from but I was sure that she didn't mean good to my people.

I couldn't live without my people but could I live without my mate? I had been mate-less for so many years, it didn't matter then. Why should it matter now?