28.

-HIM-

"So, you have finally gathered enough time to pay me a visit! Should I feel honoured?" Ezekiel joked as he welcomed me and my father. Father simply shook his hand before he replied sternly, "I am here for something important, Ezekiel,"

"Hmm, what could I possibly interest you two with?" Ezekiel wondered out loud as he gave us suggestive looks. Father shook his head at him, maintaining the stern look on his face.

"This is serious," He told the towering lycan, "I need your help," Those words from my father were enough for Ezekiel to understand that the situation was in fact serious.

"I have always helped you and I will continue to help you. Though, for what do you need my help this time?" He asked. A momentary silence stretched between us.

"You were there on the Calantha ceremony," Father spoke.

"I was," Ezekiel nodded, "I am aware that there had been an attempt to harm your queen. I hope whoever it was, you're taking great care of them," He spoke briskly. A chill ran down my spine.

The hatred was audible in his voice.

Well, done mate.

"It turned out to be a mortal... though not an ordinary mortal," Father told the lycan. Ezekiel cocked an eyebrow at us, a look of interest regarding the matter climbed on his face.

"What do you mean by that?" He asked.

"None of my witches' magic work on her. I know that she had been sent by someone from the rivals. I am keeping her alive to know who it is exactly," Father explained.

"It's her?" He asked with more interest. Father nodded. I clenched my fists, knowing what Ezekiel was exactly thinking, "Then you know how you can-"

"No, Ezekiel. We are not going to do anything like that. We respect women regardless of their kind," This made the lycan roll his eyes. I clenched my jaw, realizing how nasty the lycan in front of us could be. I was very much aware of his malpractices and his stale reputation among his kind.

"Anyway..." he sighed deeply, "You told me that none of your witches' magic work on her. I think she could be an enchantress," He suggested but I shook my head.

"Father mentioned it before. She's a mortal. Our witch found no magic in her psyche," I spoke, thinking about her. She was really something and I was growing increasingly impatient to know who she really was.

I didn't know how I was going to let people know that she was my mate. I was sure that people would hate her right away even more. No one will accept her.

"Interesting... I'll give you my royal sorcerers. They'll do the work for you," Ezekiel promised and father nodded. Meanwhile, I wondered how long she could be kept safe and alive.

~

"I didn't know that you were coming too," August chirped when he saw me at dinner. I held his arm before I led him out of the place. When I found an empty and dark corridor, I finally stopped and faced him.

"Woah, what's the matter, Ares?" He asked, searching my face for any hints. He knew that I was stressed out for something.

"Father wanted me to stay back but I came here just to meet you," I told him, "I want to get it off my chest," My words helped the look of bewilderment climb on his face.

He stepped closer to me as he clutched my hand, "What is it?" He asked more seriously this time.

"You weren't at Calantha Ceremony but you know what happened, right?" I asked him and he nodded.

"There was an attack on your mother," He answered.

"Do you know who was it?" I took a step closer to him. The air around us thickened with tension. His eyebrows came together.

"Who is it, Ares?" He asked heatedly. I realized that my breaths were laboured and my heart was wildly beating in my chest. We looked into each other's eyes as silence coated the background.

"It's my mate, August," His eyes widened at my words and he took a step back.

"Are you sure?"

"I couldn't be anymore,"

"But how could this be? Who is she and wh-"

"I don't know anything about her, August. You're the first one I am telling about her," I informed him and saw him clutch his hair.

"You should tell your father," He suggested.

"What? NO! He's never going to accept her," I told him.

"But what other option do you have, Ares? I couldn't believe that Inanna could do something like this to you!" His voice rose as he spoke while he paced. I stood frozen at my place as I tried to think.

"What have you thought, Ares?" He asked me. I took a deep breath before answering, "I have decided to reject her. I'd rather be mate-less than have someone who brings nothing but harm to Zaeris," I said through clenched teeth.

I knew that those words were partially true. Even though she was very dangerous for Zaeris, a part of me still wanted her. My wolf still wanted her because, at the end of the day, she was our mate. We were nothing without her.

She was a blessing to me by Inanna. I couldn't let her go so easily.

"Are you sure about this, Ares? Zaeris would be left without a queen then. It would be just like it was before the infertility curse was lifted," August reminded me and I rubbed my forehead. I knew I was doomed and so were my people.

Rejecting her would not only cause me great harm but my people would have to pay for this decision of mine too.

"I am sure about this," I lied with while my wolf raged inside me. He'd never let me reject her. I might be in a great dilemma but my wolf was already attached to her. He couldn't let her go so easily.

"Think about it, Ares. This is-" August stopped speaking. I looked at him to find him looking past me in horror. I held my breath as I turned around.

Father and Ezekiel were standing behind me. They had heard everything.

...

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the next 4 chapters on INKITT for FREE! The link to my Inkitt account is in my bio.

Inkitt is an add free website where you can read all the stories for free. All you need to do is download the app.

Binge Read up to Chapter 47 on Patreon. Patreon charges you the day you sign up and then the first day of each month. To sign up, click on the "support me" button on my profile. It can be cancelled anytime.

Also available on Patreon: Caught, the Trident's Legacy

The next update is on Thursday. Thanks for reading and stay safe!

-Benita