Curtain Call

[Rayne]

My reflection stared back at me from the bathroom mirror of the motel room. It was the same Rayne. Her eyelashes were just a bit darker from the mascara, her eyes a bit greener from the shimmery eye shadow, and her cheeks a bit rosier than usual — the color of a 'Peach Sunset' according to the description on the blush container.

The last time I wore makeup must have been the case where I had to dress up like a biker chick. That was also the case where I got smashed off of a couple of drinks and ended up puking in the bathroom all night in front of Dean. It felt like a lifetime ago.

So much had changed since then. Dean and I had changed since then.

As I let my hair out of the messy bun that I had it in all day, my auburn waves fell down to frame my face. Fishing out a smaller elastic and a few bobby pins from my toiletries bag, I swooped my hair into an elegant side bun.

The concert tickets that Sam got me for my birthday weren't for a typical rock concert. The show was more like a performance. The band recreated the songs note for note so that the classics could come to life like a live painting.

The show was taking place at a fancy theater in the downtown area and required appropriately fancy attire. Unfortunately, my wardrobe mostly consisted of yoga pants, t-shirts, and hoodies. So since I only brought clothes with me from my house that was suitable for monster killing, I had to go shopping earlier that day for an outfit.

It took a while to find, but eventually I located a gorgeous (decently priced) floor-length gown in a shade of deep forest green. It had a single side strap and a sweetheart neckline. I wouldn't have chosen it if it also didn't have a thin cut going up the leg that nearly reached my thigh. I never knew when I'd have to run away from something.

The monsters didn't take breaks, so even on dates hunters had to always be prepared for a fight.

I'd paired the dress with simple black heels that tied up around the ankles, and a small black wristlet clutch in which I'd stashed my cellphone, a flask of holy water, and a pocketknife. Hopefully, I wouldn't have to get my purse checked at the entrance...the contents wouldn't please whoever found them too much.

There was a light knock on the door. "Cherry Pie, we gotta go," Dean's gruff voice said from the other side. "The show starts in less than an hour and we don't know what the parking's like there."

"Coming!" Taking one last look in the mirror and deciding that it was good enough, I grabbed my clutch and opened the door. "Well, what do you think?" I asked Dean.

His reactions never needed deciphering in that department. He was like the real-life equivalent of Elmer Fudd when he saw Bugs Bunny dressed up as a girl. You could almost picture the big, pink hearts popping out of his eyes and his tongue hanging out.

Dean looked me over with an appreciative glint in his eyes and asked me to do a turn so that he could see the back of the dress. "You look...you look good, Cherry Pie."

"Yeah, the color looks great on you, Ray," Sam said from behind the kitchen table where he was sitting with his laptop, always the more descriptive one of the two brothers when it came to compliments. "And the whole dress, too, for that matter."

Dean rolled his eyes and pulled me in the direction of the door. "Yeah, awesome. Maybe she'll let you borrow it later, Sammy. Now come one, Cherry Pie. We gotta go."

Ignored him, I smiled at his brother. "Thank you, Samster!"

Sam chuckled. "You're welcome."

"Look," Dean said, clearly getting annoyed, "are we going to go to the concert or do you wanna sit around here all night writing thank you cards to each other?"