Turkish Delight

[Dean]

"All right now — I want you to come back if you experience any severe pain or dizziness," Dr. Barnes said, looking at Rayne. "And for the headaches, only take Tylenol, nothing else."

Putting my arm around her, I pulled her into my side. "Don't worry, doc. I will personally take care of my little bundle of joy here," I said enthusiastically and gave her an exaggerated kiss on her bandaged temple.

She smiled tightly while subtly elbowing me in the ribs. I forced my grimace into a smile as I sat her down in the wheelchair. With another wave at the, now, slightly perplexed doctor, I quickly spun her around and wheeled her over to the elevators.

"Thanks, hun," Rayne growled through tight lips.

"Hey, just be thankful that I got them to release you when they did. Dr. Barnacles over there was going to keep you another night."

"Barnes," she muttered.

The elevator doors closed and I hit the button for the ground floor. "What?"

"His name was Dr. Barnes."

"Pfft, as if I give a damn about what that douche's name was."

She huffed loudly and crossed her arms. We both had gotten antsy being cooped up in that room, and I was itching to get out. Rayne woke up after her 'episode' late that morning, and then I convinced them to discharge her approximately an hour later. I didn't like being there; unprotected; knowing that a demon wearing an unsuspecting nurse could waltz in at any moment and kill us both.

Rayne took the whole 'monster' news better than I was expecting, but I was still watching her, waiting for something to set her off. While we were waiting for a doctor to discharge her, she remained quiet...thinking. No doubt going over what I had told her — reevaluating everything she thought to be true.

I'd seen that look often on the faces of the people that we ended up saving from one supernatural creature or another. Usually, however, it involved more crying and pleading; like they were begging for us to tell them it wasn't so.

All things considered, however, Rayne, other than being tired and cranky, seemed to be handling it pretty well. Perhaps since her dad was also a hunter, on some subconscious level, she'd always suspected that there was more out there. No matter the circumstances, a part of me still always hated bursting peoples' bubbles. I wished no one ever had to know about the ugly things that went 'bump' in the night. For some reason, when it came to Rayne, I especially regretted having to tell her the truth. Perhaps because she seemed too innocent...too good for such a lifestyle. 

However, the demon who'd caused accident had made certain that she was now a part of it whether I liked it or not. But that did not mean I wouldn't try my best to keep her at the safest distance I could from that part of my life.  After all, the main purpose of a hunter's job was not to kill monsters, but to save people.

Other than her panic attack the previous night, Rayne's surprisingly calm acceptance of the 'big reveal' made me wonder if perhaps she was stronger than she looked. She was still worried about her mom, but when I'd assured her that we could drive by Mrs. Adams' house on the way to Bobby's to make sure that she was safe, Rayne visibly relaxed.

As soon as we were past the doors of the hospital, she shot up from her wheelchair and insisted on walking to the car on her own. I had just picked up Baby from the shop earlier that morning, and as she came into view, I nearly started crying tears of joy. It was good to see her intact again. As we made our way across the parking lot, I noticed the intent way that Rayne was trying to put one foot in front of the other, and so I held firmly onto her elbow, not wanting her to face plant and force us to turn around and head back to the hospital.