The Princess Bride

[Rayne]

I ended up sleeping on and off for the rest of the day until I stopped feeling like dying every time I woke up. Sam had come back from talking to the remaining live member of The Devil's Pagans and found out that all of his buddies made a deal one drunken night ten years earlier with a demon in exchange for their souls. It explained how they were the hot shots around town; never getting in trouble with the law and having enough money to live comfortably. I had a feeling that if they realized at the time of the deal that they were truly selling their souls, they would have asked for something better. Tony, the remaining member wasn't there that night for some reason and I was sure he was rather grateful for that right about now.

Personally I was just glad that we didn't have to go kill any monsters or spirits — I wouldn't have been able to handle it. I could only imagine a vampire or something of the kind leaping for my throat and me telling him to wait a minute while I went off to puke in the corner.

Not that Sam or Dean would have let me join them in my current condition anyway if there was something to kill. The entire day consisted of them either teasing me or fussing over me. Dean did most of the teasing; Sam did most of the fussing.

By the end of the night I was so frustrated with the both of them that I kicked them out and told them to go have a few beers on me. I was long overdue for some peace and quiet.

Sitting against the headboard on the bed, I aimlessly clicked through the channels with a bottle of Sprite and a bag of frozen mangoes by my side. It was my go-to sick meal that I made Sam buy me; he agreed only because I whined that it was the only food I could hold down.

Giving up once I saw that nothing good was playing on the five channels that the motel room television had, I turned it off and reached for my cell phone. I wanted to call my mom and talk to her about something I'd been thinking about for the last few days.

"Hello?" My mother's familiar voice asked from the other end of the line.

"Mom." I hadn't realized how much I missed hearing from her. I'd mostly been texting her since I last saw her...just enough to let her know that I was still alive and kicking.

"Rayne!"  I could hear the smile in her voice. "Honey, how are you?"

"I've been better," I told her honestly. 

"What's wrong?" she asked, suddenly worried.

"Um, I kind of got drunk on a case."

My mother's loud laughter came through the speaker. "Oh, how did you manage that, darling?"

I shrugged although I knew she couldn't see me. "Sort of got caught up in my role."

"Do I want to know?" She sounded amused.

"No, probably not."

"Well, are those Winchester boys at least taking good care of you?"

"Oh, yeah." I snorted. "I swear, Sam was a mother hen in a previous life."

"And Dean?" 

My face heated at the implication in her tone. "And Dean is..." I paused, thinking of a good word but coming up short. "Dean."

"Which means?"

"I don't know, Mom." I sighed heavily. "We go from having intense, chemistry-filled, staring contests one minute to annoying the crap out of each other the next."

She laughed at my description. "Sounds like love to me."

"I don't know if it's love, but it's something. I want him to make the first move because we all know I'll never have the courage to do it, but whenever he shows any indication of doing just that, I freak out and push him away."