Chapter Six

Yay! I'm back. I really should be doing some revision for my exams but i cannot concetrate! :/ Anyway, i hope you like it! :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Six

I sat up in my room listening to the radio. I looked outside and it was pouring down with rain. I sighed and laid down on my bed. It’s only been a week since this wonderful family has taken me in under their wings.

“Nicki?” Summer asked as she stood at my door.

“Yeah?” I said.         

“Can I speak to you?” She asked. I sat up.

“Well of course you can silly.” I smiled. She smiled and came in and shut the door.

“You can’t tell anyone.” She said.

“I promise.” I said. She came and sat next to me on the bed and looked down on the floor. “What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I’m not sure. My period is late.” She said looking at me sadly. I was surprised.

“Have you…” I managed to say before she cut me off.

“Two weeks ago, before you came, I went out to a party, got drunk and yeah, you should know the rest.” She said looking away.

“Summer, you have to take a test.” I said.

“What if mum and dad find out?” She said looking at me. She looked so upset.

“You have to tell them sometime. If you’re pregnant, they will eventually notice.” I said.

“That’s true. They’re going to be so ashamed.” She said.

“No they won’t. Shocked maybe, but not ashamed.” I said.

“I hope not. How am I supposed to buy a test thought? Everyone knows who I am and if this gets around town, everyone will know!” She said.

“I’ll get it.” I smiled.

“What? How?” She asked.

“Easy. Let me get changed.” I smiled. I went to the wardrobe and picked out some tracksuit pants, baggy t-shirt and a hoody jumper. I went to the bathroom and got changed. I tied my hair up into a pony tail so hopefully the hood won’t fall off. I walked out in the bedroom again and Summer was stunned.

“Do you have any sunglasses?” I asked.

“It’s raining? People will think you’re weird.” She said looking at me weirdly.

“Oh well. I am weird.” I smiled.

“Yeah I’ll go get them.” She said. She came back with the sunglasses and I put them on. Perfect. No one will know who I am. Not even Landon would know who I am. “You still look great.” Summer said.

“Thank-you!” I said in delight. Terry was in the lounge room and we snuck down. She was fast asleep on the couch. Bob was outside with Landon feeding and cleaning the horses. They have been out there for ages. It’s crazy. Summer opened the door quietly and we both walked out. I was careful to shut the door behind me and we set off to the store. The rain was really heavy, so we ran most of the way. Yes, I Nicki Minaj, ran in heels on a dirt road. Dangerous right? Correct. I nearly fell on my face. Now that would’ve been bad.

“We’re here.” Summer said.

“Well thank God.” I said. “You go to the toilets in the park and stay. I will go buy the stick and bring it to you, okay?” I said.

“Go it.” She said and ran over to the park toilets. Yuck. When I was little, I wouldn’t even stop to think to go to a public toilet. Now I would think very hard about doing so. I walked in and everyone was looking at me.

“Hi, I have never seen you before. I’m Margret.” An old lady said. Shit.

“Hey, I’m Katie. I just moved here from Melbourne.” I said in my best Australian accent.

“Oh really? Well welcome to Pettit Creek.” She smiled and walked off.

“Thanks, I guess.” I said to myself. Pettit Creek. That’s where I am. Three away from the city, in a little town called Pettit Creek. Now, someone come help me! No, I can’t live yet. I have to be here for Summer now. I shook that thought of my head and walked on into the section with some condoms and the pregnancy tests. I grabbed the pregnancy test that cost the most. Why not? I can always pay them back. I went to the checkout counter and got a bottle of water that was also sitting there. I gave them to the checkout chick and she smiled at me.

“First baby?” She asked.

“Uh, yes.” I said.

“Sorry that is none of my business.” She said.

“No, it’s okay.” I said.

“That will be $12.40.” She said. I gave her the money and she gave me the bag.

“Thank-you.” I said.

“Good luck.” She smiled. I smiled and walked off. It’s still raining. Great. I’m going to have to run over to the park. I ran over and nearly fell over, again.

“Careful!” I heard some shout out. I looked over and it was a man in a suit. He smiled at me and kept walking. Creep. I walked into the toilets and Summer was in one of the cubicles.

“Is that you Nicki?” She said.

“Yeah it is.” I said.

“Just pass it under.” She said. I did what she said and passed it under. It took ages. I sat on the bench next to the sinks. I looked at the time and it was 3:00pm. I hope no one has noticed that we’re gone.

“Nicki, I’m scared.” Summer finally said.

“Well I would hold your hand but that would be weird.” I said. She laughed a little. “You’ll be okay, I promise nothing will happen to you.” I said.

“Okay, thank-you.” I said.

“I’m going to go wait outside. Come out when you’re ready. Good luck Summer.” I said. I walked out and the rain had cleared up a little and the sun was shining. I waited for Summer which she was taking a while.

“Hey there.” Someone said. I looked over and it was the same guy who told me to be careful.

“Hi.” I said.

“I’m Derrick.” He said.

“I’m Katie.” I said.

“Nice to meet you Katie. You don’t look like a Katie.” He smiled.

“Thank-you.” I smiled.

“Would you like to go out for tea sometime Katie?” He asked. I bit my lip which made him smile sexily at me.

“Hm, maybe.” I said.

“Tell me when you figured out an answer.” He said. He gave me a paper with his number on it smiled.

“Okay.” I smiled. He smiled back and walked off. Summer walked out and I looked at her.

“I am pregnant.” She said. Oh dear.