Chapter Eighteen

Short chapter but a big chapter if you get what i mean. Saving Nicki is finally back for those looking forward to the next chapter! Yay! What do you all think about this chapter? Tell me your thoughts. Enjoy! X

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Eighteen

The car ride was getting longer each second. I could feel Derrick feeling uncomfortable and it’s starting to make me really uncomfortable. A couple of times I was about to say stop and turn back but I couldn’t say anything. Nothing came out. I grew more anxious as we got closer to the city. Derrick pulled out to the side of the ride.

“Nicki, I can’t.” Derrick said.

“Neither can I.” I finally said.

“You should’ve said something.” He said.

“I couldn’t.” I said.

“Why not?” He asked.

“I’m not sure. This is all just a big mess. I just want to go home.” I said. “This is just not the right way.” I said.

“No it isn’t.” He said.

“I’m really sorry Derrick.” I said.

“Nah it’s okay.” He said. “So we’re going back?” He asked. I nodded slowly. “Okay.” He said. He did a U-turn on the road.

It was a long way back in silence. I think he is mad. I don’t blame him. I would be too. We arrived back in town and Derrick dropped me off at the farm house.

“I’m so sorry Derrick.” I said.

“Quickly go get that note before someone finds it.” He said. I nodded my head and shut the car door. He drove off. Not even a goodbye. I feel so bad. I walked inside and luckily everyone was still asleep. I grabbed the note and ripped it to little pieces and chucked it in the bin. I walked back upstairs into my room and unpacked all my things. It felt good knowing I was going home but I can’t do it like this. I got into my bed and I quickly drifted off to sleep knowing I’ll be up again in a couple of hours anyway.

I woke up and I could hear people moving around. I got up and looked out into the hall. Everyone’s bedroom door was open and I could hear sobbing in the kitchen. I quickly walked down and Terry was crying. Bob was standing in the corner and Landon was comforting Terry. Summer sat silent at the table.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“It’s bad.” Summer said.

“What is it?” I asked confused. There was silence.

“Derrick had a car accident last night at about 3:30am.” Landon said. I gulped. That’s right before he dropped me back here. The colour drained from my face.

“Is he okay?” I asked barely able to speak. Terry started crying more.

“He died at the scene.” Summer said quietly for me to only hear. I stood rooted in my spot.

“What?” I asked. I needed to sit down. My head started to spin. Dead. Derrick is dead. This is my fault. All my fault. Tears was threating to spill. I tried to stop the tears but I couldn’t. I broke down. “This is my fault.” I said.

“What? Nicki you’re talking crap.” Summer said.

“It is. I was running away with him back to the States and I told him to turn back. I couldn’t go without saying a proper goodbye. I fell in love with him. I don’t know how. It just happened. I’m so sorry.” I blurted it all out. Landon looked at me in disgust and Summer looked at me blankly. Terry was looking at me but saw past all of that.

“It’s okay deary, I’m glad you came back to us.” She said getting off her chair and hugging me. I cried into her shoulder.

“I can’t believe you did that.” Landon said.

“Leave her alone.” Terry said. “She made a mistake, we all do.” Terry said. I couldn’t bear to look at Landon’s face.

“This is too much.” Summer said and got up and ran upstairs into her room. Landon followed close behind.

The day passed as a blur. I thought long and hard about Derrick. Why did this happen? I could feel my heart slowly rip apart. My chest physically hurts. There was a knock on the door and it was Terry.

“Do you want a hot chocolate?” Terry asked.

“Yes please.” I said. Terry walked in with an already made hot chocolate. I smiled tearfully at her. “Thank-you.” I said.

“You’re welcome.” She said. She sat next to me on my bed. “How are you feeling?” She asked.

“Depressed.” I said.

“So do i. He was a good guy. I’m glad you found comfort in him. He deserved someone like you.” She said. I started crying. He was a good guy. Terry hugged me until I stopped.

“I’ve been thinking Nicki, that I think it is time for you to go home; to your family and friends at this time.” Terry said.

“What about you?” I asked.

“I’m fine. I have Bob.” She smiled. “You need your mum.” Terry said.

“I miss her.” I said.

“I know. I brought you a ticket into Melbourne going by train. It lives first thing in the morning.” Terry said. I looked at her. She was serious.

“Thank-you.” I said. I hugged her and she hugged me back. We hugged for ages.

“I’ll live you to pack.” She smiled.

“Okay.” I smiled back. She walked out of the room and I looked over to the draw next to my bed. My bag was open. Inside I could see Derrick’s card with his picture on it. My heart finally broke into half and I broke down crying and I cried nearly all night.