Chapter Four

Chapter Four

I woke up and it was dark. I looked around and was instantly reminded where I was. Not at home. But at some strangers house. It was 8:15 pm and my tummy was grumbling. I haven’t had any food since yesterday morning before I left for Melbourne. I got up and walked to the door and quietly opened it. No one was in sight. Okay Nicki, these people are nice people. If they were to kill you, they would’ve done it while you were asleep. I gained the courage to walk out of the room and down the stairs into the kitchen. No one in sight. Where the hell is everyone? I walked into the next room and I found Summer laying on the couch, watching TV.

“Hey?” I said not knowing which was she was going to take it. She sat up and looked at me.

“Hi.” She said.

“Um, I was wondering if I could have something to eat?” I asked.

“Yeah sure, what do you want?” she asked. Okay, she’s being nice. Do not wreck the mood, capisci? (A/N: For people who have no idea how to pronounce capisci, Ka-Peesh)

“Anything will be fine.” I said.

“Okay.” She said as she walked past me into the kitchen.

“Where is everyone?” I asked.

“Out.” She said getting some stuff out of the freezer.  I looked at it and they were mini pies. “Do you eat meat party pies?” She asked.

“To be honest, I have never had a meat party pies before.” I said. Her eyes widened in shock.

“You American’s really miss out on a lot.” She said.

“I guess we do.” I said.

“So you’re famous?” She said as she put 4 mini pies on the tray.

“Yeah.” I said.

“You sing?” She asked as she put the mini pies in the oven and looked at me.

“I rap.” I said.

“Really? We don’t have rappers in Australia as you probably already know.” She said.

“Yeah I know.” I said.

“Well the party pies will be readying in about 5. You’re welcome to come watch TV with me if you want.” She walking out of the kitchen and into the lounge room to sit down on the couch again. I followed her not wanting to be rude and go back to my room. I sat down on the chair next to her and looked what was on TV. I had no idea what was on but Summer seemed to enjoy it.

“Oh and we brought you some clothes but we put them in Landon’s room. Do you want to go check them out?” She asked.

“Yeah sure.”  I smiled. She smiled back and jumped of the couch and went upstairs. I followed close behind. We entered Landon’s room and there was clothes in a pile on Landon’s bed. I picked one of the items up and it was a denim dress with buttons from top to bottom.

“They are probably way different from what you wear, but they’ll do.” Summer said.

“It’s okay, I love them. Thank-you so much for doing this.” I said.

“You’re welcome.” She smiled.

“I’m going to go change, I’ll be down soon.” I said. She nodded and went down starts. I picked up a piece of underwear and new bra and locked myself in the bathroom. My face is a pulp. If I had all my make-up I could make it look lie there is nothing there, but I don’t. How could this happen to me? Why? Well I guess you can say I have taught myself a lesson. Never, ever, go out alone in the dark.

I walked down the stairs and my plate of mini pies were sitting on the table. There was some sauce next to the plat. I plopped some sauce onto the plate and sat down at the table and ate my mini pies, which tasted like heaven. Summer came out rubbing her eyes.

“I’m going to bed. Landon should be home soon so if you want to wait for him, you’re welcome to watch TV.” She said.

“Okay, thank-you for this.”  I smiled.

“You’re welcome. Goodnight.” She said.

“Goodnight.” I smiled. She walked up the stairs and walked into her room and shut the door. I finished my mini pies and washed my plate in the sink and put the sauce away. Took me a while to find where everything went. I got a glass down and had a drink of water. I spat the water out instantly. Yuck! What is this? I wiped my mouth and looked in the fridge. Hm, orange juice will do for now.  I poured myself a glass and went into the lounge to watch TV. Once again, nothing was on. I flicked the channels and there was only 3 channels. What the heck? 3? I left it on channel ten and got up to look around the room at all the pictures. There was one with Landon and Summer, then a family portrait. I never had a family portrait. I just locked myself in my room all day and wrote songs. I heard something at the front door and I looked around to see Landon.

“Hey.” He smiled.

“Hi.” I smiled back.

“How do you feel now?” He asked.

“I feel great, part from the fact I can’t go home.” I said. He smiled apologetically.

“Yeah, trust me, if there was any other way to get you home I would.” He said.

“Thank-you. Also thank-you for letting me stay here.”  I smiled.

“You’re welcome.” He smiled. “Have you had food?” He asked.

“Yeah. Summer cooked mini pies.” I said. He laughed a little. “What’s funny?” I asked.

“Mini pies?” He asked with a broad smile.

“Yes, they had some kind of meat in them. You call them a weird name.” I said.

“That’s because we’re Australian and they’re called party pies.”  He laughed.

“Well, whatever!” I said. He continued to laugh for a little while until he settled down and sat on the couch and flicked the through the TV channels.

“Would you like to watch a movie?” He asked.

“Yeah sure.” I said.

“We can watch Bran Nue Dae, it’s Australian.” He smiled. I laughed a little.

“Okay, I look forward to it then.” I smiled. He put the movie on and it started.

“Tomorrow you can help with the horses.” He smiled. “They need a clean.” He said.

“Is it muddy?” I asked.

“Hm, it is a bit.” He said. “Don’t worry, we brought you some clothes that you can get dirty plus some gumboots. You’ll be right.” He smiled. I nodded. I don’t like to get dirty but it’s the least I can do for this family since they have taken me in for a month. I hope I am no burden to them.