Chapter 27

Every muscle in my body was aching and I heard a pulse echoing in my ears. Ahhhh I was in so much physical pain. I was used to pain but this, this felt internal. Like my outside skin was patched up but everything inside my body was hacked to pieces. My organs were bursting and my blood was boiling as it flowed throughout my body.

"She's going to be alright." A husky voice said. 

I wanted to open my eyes so bad but they were extremely heavy. The tortuous pounding drumming against my temples was making it difficult to process my surroundings.

"How can you be sure?" I heard my mother question. She was worried; I could tell by the shaky tone in her voice.

"The bite isn't lethal. It's internal." 

Cal? I had memorized his beautiful angel voice by heart. I was desperate to open my eyes and see him. 

"So you're saying he could have infected her with something?" Gabe's voice was distant. It echoed so I assumed he was in the back of the room. Ok, where am I?

"Possibly but we won't know anything till she wakes up."

Awww dang it. Why couldn't I open my eyes? Were they glued shut or something? I don't recall getting black eyes so they couldn't be swollen shut. 

"Thank you." Pierce spoke up. "You saved her and us. Thank you."

The room fell to an eerie silence. I guess there wasn't much to say. I wouldn't exactly be in a talkative mood either. Everyone we cared about was getting hurt. I felt like all we could do now was heal. Laying down flat in a bed, I heard random beeping in my ear. I figured we were in a hospital. I probably had monitors hooked up to every vein in my body. 

Come on eyes, open, open, open. Five minutes later my fight was victorious and my eyes finally did as I commanded. I was surrounded by my family and like I predicted in the hospital. 

My mother hovered over me lovingly concerned for my well-being. She pressed back my hair, resting her hand against my clammy forehead. 

"Mom..." My voice cracked. Wow, did I happen to swallow ash?

"Shhh baby. Don't talk." 

I scanned my family's faces and my tear ducts began to moisten. They were okay. Oh thank God we were all okay. Man I was such a crybaby as of lately. 

I was robbed of my sentimental moment when I was hit with another terrible sleep wave. My eyes automatically shut despite my willingness to stay awake. 

When my body finally had the strength from recuperation to function properly I found Pierce sitting next to me aimlessly scanning through an old book. I wanted to laugh. Pierce didn't read. He really must be bored out of his mind. My insides jolted when I noticed Cal napping on an armchair. He made the chair look like it was manufactured for babies yet he still managed to dream peacefully. 

Ahhhh, my sore body. Wait my ribs. That was why my side was killing me. Cal really packed a punch. 

"Laken?" Pierce cried in happiness. 

My lips curved into a weak smile. "Water," I whispered my request. He placed the straw between my lips and I savored the refreshing liquid. Much better. "How's dad?" 

"They're sending him home tomorrow." 

My brows went up. "That quick?" It was great news. 

"Laken..." My brother hesitated. "You've been in the hospital for a week."

"What?" That wasn't possible. Was I asleep the whole time? 

He placed his hand over mine to grab my attention back. "You've been in and out of a coma. You were poisoned and sick but everything is fine now."