Chapter 2

I had to wake up at 8 in the morning the next day. Yay, I only got two hours of sleep but by now I was used to running on no sleep. That was a sacrifice we had to make and boy did I regret it sometimes. I just couldn't keep my eyes open this time. Hannah, my best friend and coworker, had to pick me up and suggest we go get coffee before starting our day. We went to the same church and she knew what kind of life I lived. She knew the secrets and gifts my family was blessed and some believed cursed with. 

"Tough night?" She pitied me. 

I lazily got out of the car and followed her into the cafe. There was something about a coffee's aroma that just tingled my senses. 

"I got tossed into a wall...twice," I exaggerated with my fingers. "Like a freakin flapjack." At least the second time I didn't dislocate my shoulder. My family, we're quick healers too. We had to be to survive as long as we have in our line of work. The perks of being royally blessed.

"I'm glad you're still alive." Her innocent hazel eyes had no idea the things I went through.

It was hard for her to relate. No one but my family had to actually fight them, physically and sometimes emotionally. Our fellow church goers knew of the evil creatures and spirits that haunt this earth like a plague but they were not called for this specific divine purpose. Everyone in the world was called by God for some sort of purpose; this was ours. I wasn't sure how my family got stuck with this duty. Maybe we were stronger, maybe it was in our blood. I didn't know. But I did know that most people who do try don't make it back in one piece. I know of a few others who attempted to fight back but ended up losing a part of their souls. They were never the same.

I was thankful that my family always comes back...mentally.

"Anything cool happen?" Hannah was intrigued with this kind of stuff and constantly bombarded me with question.

"Not really. Getting thrown around like a chew toy was the highlight of my night." 

We ordered our drinks and sat at a table near the window. The small coffee shop was our to go to place. People came and went constantly. Sometimes I liked to sit and just stare as they walked in. Every person was different but with similar problems. It was rare to find a face with a smile nowadays. People get stressed, hate what they do, complain about other people, or want too much out of life. We strive for greatness but hate when we don't reach it. 

"I'm gonna go get our drinks." Hannah stood up.

I nodded in agreement. My legs were worn out. The door to the shop opened again and my curious eyes zoomed to see. My breath painfully and embarrassingly froze in my throat once the massively, delicious man specimen waltzed in. My eyes sinfully devoured the buff, out of place, beautiful creature like dessert. His large yet slick and toned muscled chest was hardly concealed underneath that navy blue tight v neck shirt and torn leather vest.

I knew plenty of girls who would kill to be that shirt right now, including myself. It hugged his every inch of perfection. I could even distinguish the outlines of his 6 pack. Heck, it might even be an eight pack. This dude was hot; like painfully, scoldingly, put your hand over a stove, kind of hot. Thick black swirls and marks covered portions of his bulging muscular arms. They weren't the nasty kind of tattoos that people got while drunk and regretted the next day. Oh, no. His unique markings were mesmerizing and somewhat enchanting. The dude was definitely the bad boy girls gave their virginities to. 

And I haven't even gotten to admire his face yet. His impressive broad shoulders were a small distraction from his slightly cleft chin. His smooth tan toned skin looked flawless against the sun's rays. Was I dreaming? Was this guy an angel? Did I die last night or something? My eyes drifted to his strongly angled jawbone that I swear could cut through blocks of stone. His pronounced cheekbones and straight nose were the epitome of that of a Greek statue and supermodel put together. Man I hope I wasn't drooling.