Chapter 24

With the luck of the devil riding down our backs it began to pour cats and dogs. It literally looked like the sinking of Titanic. There was sure to be plenty of floods in the morning. Cal seemed to be a professional driver though even in his delicate condition. He promised he was fine but the more blood seeping through his shirt had me worried. 

I couldn't even see the outline of the road out the windows but we were stopping anyway. Maybe it was another angel thing, like x ray vision or something. The pounding of the golf ball sized rain drops beating against the car was like a timer determining my fate. It was like the stupid back ground music that warned you of something tragic that was going to happen in the next act. 

"We're going to have to get out of this car eventually. I doubt this rain will ease up." 

He was right. "On the count of three. One, two...three."

I hesitated but opened the door anyway. Cal waited graciously for me to leave before getting out himself.

I was hit from every which way with water. I used to love the rain as a child. I would play in it till my hands would wrinkle and I'd be sick in bed for the next week. I still enjoyed it. The refreshing cool feeling of water consuming you to experience a new sensation. It was God's gift to earth. It was a blessing of growth.

Cal grabbed my hand and led me into his apartment building. It was one of those expensive buildings with tight security and home to pro football players. The lobby floors were made of marble for goodness. I didn't even want to think about how much a condo would cost a month. 

I was drenched and probably looked like a wreck of messy hair by the look on the receptionist's face. Then again that strange dirty look was probably because she had a crush on Cal. 

The elevator ride was quiet but thankfully short. He apparently lived on the eleventh floor. Cal unlocked the door to room 1101. Inside I was shocked how clean everything was. I kind of expected him to be the clutter type with his aggressive rage I figured he'd break ever stick of furniture in this place. It was simple too and modern but it lacked personality. To me it looked like a showroom. 

"Nice crib." I went straight for the balcony view. 

It was still pouring stupid crazy outside so I couldn't see much but I was sure it was a spectacular view. 

"Thank you." I heard him shuffle his feet before saying, "I'll get you a towel."

I almost forgot how soaking wet I was. I took the towel he offered and gradually wiped what I could but I was still pathetically wet and getting cold. I had goose bumps ride up my arms. Did he have the AC on?

"Let me see your cut." I demanded without meaning to sound so rude.

"Is this your way of getting me naked?" He snickered.

He might be in denial but I knew he was hurt more badly than he led on. I took the initiative and lifted his shirt, totally man handling him. My hands grazed the spot but it was only a line of skin tissue where the cut had been. Blood was smeared all over his chest. 

"It's just a scar."

He chuckled. "You sound disappointed."

"No, that's not what I meant. I mean..." I didn't wish for him to-

Cal took his shirt from my hand and pulled it completely off. I was dumbfounded to say the least. Here I was standing right in front of Cal's glorious body and all I could do was gawk at him. I turned around to rid myself of his beautiful temptation. 

"Thank you...for protecting me." I fiddled with my fingers and prayed he'd put a shirt on soon.

"Laken you're going to die happy and from old age. I won't let them get to you." I didn't say anything and he continued. "I'll get you some dry clothes."