Chapter 4

Pierce held the punching bag in place as I attacked it with my iron fists. We often trained together. It was a time where we could bond and release some of our stress physically and emotionally.

"Did you eat today? You're punching worse than a gym teacher." Pierce mocked.

My next punch sent him back a foot and he laughed. We were a bit stronger than an average human. Our hearing, our smell, and even our thought process were more defined. We were made to hunt and defeat our enemies. So technically it was physically impossible for me to punch like a pathetic gym teacher. No offense to all you gym teachers out there.

"I want to see a gym teacher do half the things I can. Threw him off a ten story building and see if he lands on his feet." It wasn't the most sane or comfortable action but running after evil spirits who have no limits kind of forced me to master insane leaps.

"Our purpose is to save people not kill them," Pierce went on.

"Oh yes I'm quite aware of that." I slowed my pace till I finally stopped.

Pierce and I walked to the bench in the corner of our home gym. I was exhausted but it was a good sore feeling that I grew to love. He handed me a towel and I wiped all the sweat from my forehead.

"It's been just the three of us for awhile." Pierce was talking about us and Gabe. "It will be strange having another to rely on."

I nodded. "It's going to be extremely hard for Paige at first. It's like a baby waking up with new eyes. Sometimes I feel like we live in a horror movie."

"A horror movie that only we can see. This world is masked, flawed, and not easy to live in."

I signed. I often wondered what my life would be like if I didn't see the true nature of things.

"Do you ever wish to be normal?"

Pierce's hazel eyes glazed over for a moment like he was honestly considering it. "It would all be a lie. Some people with their fake smiles and pretend attitudes. I feel like eventually I would turn into something like that too. We transform to our surroundings to fit in and blend in. God never wanted that for us. We need to see the pain and evil and fight it. Christians aren't meant to submit to the world. We are meant to be lights."

This is why I loved talking to my older brother. He was wise and his faith in God was always his ultimate factor in his everyday decisions. He knew exactly what to say and how to say it.

He was like my father in that way. My father was like a rock of spiritual enlightenment. He wasn't a pastor or anything like that but he was a follower in Christ through in through. My father is a man of his word and defender of Christ. He spent most his life going after and killing off the demons of sin.

I was quiet and I guess Pierce grew curious. "Do you sometimes wish to be normal?" He asked me the same question.

"I love what we do and the reason why we do it. We stand up for those who can't fight it off. I know when I'm feeling weak I have you to help me and they...they have us. But I can't help but wonder how blissful ignorance can be."

Pierce patted my leg. "Ignorance is just an excuse to avoid the truth."

He was right. Of course, he was right. I got up because I desperately needed to shower.

"Do you want to come over for dinner tonight?"

I shook my head. "Cant; I have a date."

That threw him off. Pierce went into big brother rode immediately.

"Who? Do I know this guy?"

"Nope." He hated not knowing all the facts.

I couldn't count all the guys Pierce and Gabe had scared off during my lifetime. It was sad and pathetic on my part.