Chapter 20

I woke when I felt an electric shock coursed through my entire body. My pulse quickened as every fiber in my body came to life again. I squinted my eyes open but it was too blurry to make anything out. I was being carried and could feel myself cradled and pressed against someone else. 

"Callias," my voice broke making anything I say barely audible. 

"Shhhh, sleep." 

And I did. I slept like the dead which resulted in the extreme combustion off emotions when I finally did wake. I jumped out of bed like I usually did from a nightmare. 

"Not too fast honey." I heard my mother warn. 

I opened my eyes to find her hovering over my bed watching me cautiously. Was it all just a dream then...a horrible, horrible dream?

"Mom what happened?" 

"I'm not sure what's going on with you or why so many catastrophic things have been happening to you lately." 

I took the glass of water she was offering me and practically chugged it. Then thoughts of blood filling up my throat forced me to spit it all back out. Either that was a very realistic dream or it wasn't a dream at all. 

My mother calmly wiped the watered spit from her hands. Opps. 

"Cal brought you home. He said you passed out."

Passed out? Wait, he stabbed me. My hand automatically covered the spot where a gaping hole should be. I even lifted my shirt to get a better look, but nope. Nothing. Not even a scratch. 

My mother was giving me a curious look, probably thinking I was going crazy. Maybe I was. I felt like I was losing my mind. 

"Where is he?" 

My mother shrugged her shoulders. "I don’t know. He just left." 

I nodded in disappointment but did I really want to see him? Cal stabbed me. He actually almost succeeded in killing me. I couldn’t let this go any further. I was stupid enough to fall for his pathetic charm. Ughhh. I could hear my brothers now, ‘You should have told us soon. Laken how could you be so naïve?’

Was it wrong of me to have faith in a person like Cal? Well I guess that question was answered once he delivered me to near death. Was this all part of the plan? Was experiencing intimate moments with me part of it? Was kissing me, was that all part of his revenge? What now? I was alive. Would he come back? 

I don’t know. How could I be so stupid? It was obvious Cal was only using me, digging into my brain. Perhaps he was getting to me so he could eventually destroy us all, my family. I was opening the door for him; warming my family up to him so eventually they would trust him. I’m so stupid. What was I thinking? He’s a fallen angel. Nothing good could come from a being who was cast out of heaven.

"Honey what really happened?" Mother pulled me out of my bubble of disproportional chaos.

I shook my head, throwing it back on the pillow. Bad idea. My head started to really pound after that. "Honestly mom, I don't even know." 

"What do you mean?" Her worried expression was far worse than I had ever seen it. 

"I don't know. I'm fine now. Okay?" Maybe I could sooth her nerves by making her look at the bright side.

Her eyes barely concealed their concern. "Out of all my children, I worry for you the most."

That didn't surprise me. "Why? Afraid I won't find a suitable husband." Was this the right time for humor?