Chapter 26

My father was rushed to the hospital within the hour. I called my family and waited fanatically as the doctors raced him to the ER. Initially we healed quickly but this seemed to be different this time. I thought maybe he'd recuperate in a few minutes after being stabbed but he didn't. The ambulance ride was agonizing. 

How was it even possible? We always healed. Maybe the devil found a loop whole to kill us. I prayed it wasn't poison. I prayed the effects weren't lethal. 

The waiting room was empty so my legs paced the whole room at least 47 times. 

"Laken?" Pierce engulfed me into his arms. 

I did my best not to crumble. We weren't a soft family. We were raised with a hard exterior so any sign of weakness was new to us. 

"They took him in a few minutes ago. They said he needs surgery. His heart was punctured." I explained with my face protectively against his chest. 

My mother concealed her tears as Gabe held her. "We mustn't tell Miriam just yet. She has the baby to worry about."

We all agreed and anxiously awaited together for a doctor to at least glance our way but none did. The walls were white and the muted television had no use of distraction. The quiet atmosphere made it that much more possible for me to pillage my darkest fears. My father couldn't die. Not like this. 

Ahhhh I knew I should have done something. Like what? I was up against the devil, the founder of all that was evil. I stood no chance. He would have pummeled me the first chance I tried wiggling from his grasp. It felt like a century till the cardiovascular doctor walked in. His face was composed giving us nothing to go by. 

"Mrs. Reese I presume?" He went right up to my mother.

She nodded and theatrically we were chewing our fingers off waiting for the doctor to continue.

"Your husband's surgery went well. He's in critical condition and will be in intensive care for a few days."

I sighed in relief. He was going to be ok. I would have died myself if he didn't make it through. I would have blamed myself till the end of time. 

"May we see him?" 

The doctor complied. "Two people for now. He needs his rest."

"Jess," Pierce addressed his wife. "Will you go with mom and see him?"

Jess agreed and guided my mother out of the room. I knew why they wanted to stay behind. The silence was deafening so I practiced how I would word my explanation of the events. 

"What happened Laken?"

I couldn't even look my brothers in the eyes. Paige rubbed my back encouragingly and that small gesture helped me clear my throat. 

"The place was basically empty when I got there. I guess I should have known right then but I didn't. Dad left to purchase the furniture when I was visited by the devil."

It sounded pretty silly even for us. 

"The devil? As in Satan?"

By the tone of Gabe's voice I knew he was mocking me. It was pretty ridiculous. The devil had minions to do his dirty work. Why visit me in the flesh? What was so special about Laken Reese? 

"Yes. I didn't want to believe him at first but I felt it. He was...toxic." He had that psychotic, seductive, dangerous, charm about him. 

"Why?" Their questioned were pounding in my ears.

"Cal was supposed to kill me but obviously he didn't. There were so many ways he could have killed me. Satan doesn't necessarily want my blood. He wants my soul and my obedience."