Chapter 13

The next day I didn't even know how to interpret my dream. Was I making all that up in my head? Did I really have a guardian angel or was I using some kind of defense mechanism to calm my nerves? Nothing would surprise me at this point. I was a messed up cannon, ready to blow at any time.

Either way I had to focus on reality and get ready for work. I was a little disappointed when Hannah texted me saying she wasn't coming in. I felt like I hadn't seen her in forever. I was so wrapped up in my own apocalyptic world that I hadn't spent any time with my friends. Unless I count Cal as a friend, imaginary friend possibly. It's too bad he wanted to kill me.

I was checking up on an elderly patient when flashbacks of my last encounter with an old lady popped into my head. Mrs. Lawrence was like a disturbing memory. I was just hoping no one would try to kill me today.

I was at my last house visit when the sun was setting. Time had gone by so fast because it was already 6 o' clock. How does that always happen?

"Dear, can you help me to my room? I'm getting a bit tired."

Mr. Evans was a widow and pride himself on living alone. He had two children but he refused to be a burden or live in a nursing home. He was recovering from a stroke and surprisingly he was doing incredible for a man his age.

"Sure." I wrapped my arms around his and we gradually waltzed down the hall to his bedroom.

His still lived in the house he shared with his wife. It had a nice antique feminine touch. I was sure he hadn't changed a thing since she left.

I helped pull up the covered and settle him in. His room felt warm and filled with memories. On his bed stand I found a picture of what I assumed was him and his wife on their wedding day. He was handsomely dressed in a classy suit and his wife was beyond gorgeous. Her vintage lace dress was practically my dream dress.

"Ruby was my soulmate and the most beautiful thing I had ever since in all my 78 years." His wrinkly smile was pleasing. "You come in close second dear."

I couldn't help but laugh. Flattery was not something I was used to in this century.

"I seriously take that as a compliment." I took the picture in my hands and examined it closely.

"I wasn't looking for love but she snuck up on me. That's how it is a lot of the time. Men are stubbornly stupid when it comes to feelings. Emotions are a strange thing. We'd rather act like they're not there."

"Yeah I could believe that." Men were just bottled up little girls, hiding away.

Mr. Evans patted my hand. "Have you ever been in love dear?"

I wouldn't exactly have called it love. "No," I decided to simplify my answer.

"Just remember, men don't know they want something till last minute; till it is almost impossible to have."

I smiled and got up. "I'll remember that."

I walked out, with honestly a better understanding of men. They were like women, maybe worse.

"Guy trouble?"

I about had a heart attack at the sound of an eerie voice coming from the dark living room. My hand went over my chest and the rapid beating was insane.

"Excuse me while I crap my pants." I was not an easy person to scare.

I even liked to pride myself on never been snuck up on. But man was I caught off guard. Maybe Cal literally wanted to scare me to death.

"Well isn't that a pleasant image running through my head."

I marched into the living room where I found Cal leisurely collapsed on the couch with his feet propped up on the glass coffee table.