Chapter 19

My life was a downward spiral of unpredictable events. I used to believe I knew my purpose in life, I mean I still do but I was confused. Why was Cal in my life? And why was I suddenly developing feelings for him other than hatred? I was secretly hoping that his motives for killing me were disintegrating. This was different now, right? I wasn't the only one who felt something incredible when we kissed. Cal had to have felt it too. 

It was like our bodies synced to this tune only we could hear. Every move, every minor touch was like a connection to my soul. It was so weird. So, so much different than the random sparks I got with Alan; who I thought at one point was my soul mate. Cal and I literally had electricity radiating off of every fiber of our bodies. 

Just thinking about it gave me the goose bumps. I shivered from the chill and finally got out of bed. It was Saturday; everyone should be home. For some reason I had a feeling something horrible was coming my way. It wouldn't be the first time. Mom was already pouring me a cup of coffee. 

"Where's Caleb?" I took a sip of the coffee and burnt my tongue. Typical me. 

"He's in Gabe's old room, sleeping." 

I occupied the seat next to her. "I hope he doesn't get any nightmares." 

My mother was nodding her head but had that look on her face. She had a question brewing in there somewhere. 

"Honey, how did you get away from that demon? Because the way you explained it you were defenseless."

Could I tell her? "Defenseless? Do you really have that little faith in me?" 

I tried playing it off like I was offended. 

She patted my arm. "Of course not but even your brothers sometimes can't protect themselves against evil creatures without their weapons."

My mind was going back and forth with the outcome of telling her the truth. Would she believe me; think Cal was a blessed too? Hmm well technically that was kind of true. Cal was an angel, still was but not really the good kind. Yet he was still blessed at one point. Well here it goes. 

"Cal saved me." I confessed shutting my eyes momentarily so I wouldn't have to see her disappointed reaction. 

"Cal?" She repeated. 

"He can see them too." 

My mother fall back into her chair, mind boggled. She really didn't see that one coming. She looked entirely shocked and not disappointed like I thought. 

"Really?" She raised a curious brow. "Now that explains a lot." She then began to smile like a madwoman. Was I missing something?

"What does that explain?" 

"His eyes. They have seen many things. I guess I never thought it possible because most chosen to be blessed with the sight to see evil other than ourselves don't survive. It just never occurred to me." 

Again there she goes with that stupid, obnoxious smile. 

"Why are you smiling?" It was starting to scare me. 

"How does he make you feel?" 

I got lost in thought. He...Cal was...I don't know. I couldn't even put into words the unexplainable security yet fear factor I get with him. I mean...hmmmmm

"You really like him don't you?" She had that weird twinkle in her eyes. "Don't even try to deny it honey. Your face says it all."

Betrayed by my own face. I mentally slapped myself. "He gets me. I don't have to hide the things I see or feel. There's this strange connection I get with him. He understands."